2010 Silverado 5.3l Lifter Ticking

Mine is 5.3 Aluminum AFM, sorry I should have said it's COLD start only.

As for the oil pressure, the way I understand it if there is enough (or more) in the oil pan the oil pump will make less effort to pump showing lower reading in the gauge compared to higher reading if it was making more effort to pump oil.

Any way, it looks like you are dealing with a different problem than the common lifters issue, the opposite symptom. However, I think the discussion should help at the end of the day.

Take it to a good shop and let them fix it under warranty, you have to take the risk. Ask them to start in the oil pan area, oil pump, Oil Pressure Relief Valve...

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mine is 5.3 Aluminum AFM, sorry I should have said it's COLD start only.

That why I said that it's important for posters to be clear on which of the two problems they have when they opine here.

As for the oil pressure, the way I understand it if there is enough (or more) in the oil pan the oil pump will make less effort to pump showing lower reading in the gauge compared to higher reading if it was making more effort to pump oil.

Yeah, that's not correct. The output "pressure" is not a function (or measure) of suction "effort" on the pump input side. Car oil pumps are typically "positive displacement" style (that look like a clover leaf rotating through mating cavities).

Ask them to start in the oil pan area, oil pump, Oil Pressure Relief Valve...

I don't think that any of us have the luxury of doing this (i.e. telling "them" what YOU want them to do). You've already seen what they told me (in the snippet from my service order that I photo'd above). We're pretty much at their mercy, especially if they can't associate their findings, or the customer complain with any known situation (i.e. like the T.S.B. on the cold tick).

Update:

I (we?) "may" have been too quick to dismiss the idea that the hot tick might "not" be lifter related.

To that point, I did the "pipe to ear" thing yesterday to see if I could isolate the ticking noise. It was fruitless, at least looking for the noise in the engine compartment.

Later on I decided to climb under the truck while t was running. Interestingly enough, it "seems" to me that it is coming from the transmission area, - specifically the front half near the torque converter. Maybe my imagination, but it seems louder just behind the torque converter, - near the transmission front pump area.

But I'll do some more investigation. I seem to now be second guessing the whole idea that this is really a lifter issue. But with the lifters being deep inside the engine (under the heads), it might be tad difficult to conclude that it is, or is, or is "not" lifter related.

The fact that in all cases (and all YouTube videos) shows that the noise is loudest thru the LEFT (drivers-side) wheel well is significant I think. ergo, if it was truly "lifter related", why is it that the noise is only coming from the LEFT rear side of the engine (and seemingly loudest down around the left side of the torque converter/transmission area)? Interesting stuff indeed ...

My 2010 5.3L Silverado w/ 5.3L Vortec has what sounds like a lifter ticking on the left bank, and it's been doing it for a while now, but it's really starting to bother me. It does it at idle up to about 1,500 RPM whether the engine is hot or cold.

I've read countless articles found on Google, and even found a youtube video with the exact noise, but it was for a 2009 Silverado (with the 5.3L Vortec). But I haven't seen anything mentioned for this issue on anything newer than 2009.

Does anyone have any experience with this issue on the 2010? If so is there any definitive cause, and anything that can, and should be done about it ?

Thanks!

Hi everyone, I was just reading around because i recently experienced this issue. I have a 2011 5.3 with less than 11,000 miles on i. I called the dealer about the ticking and he told me there is a TSB regaurding the lifters on the AFM motors regaurding the lifters. They will replace the lifters providing the hear the sound and diagnose it to be the issue. Only problem is that I can't make the truck do the noise. its spontanious!

While at the dealership yesterday dropping off my mothers car to have some work done they had an 08 2500HD GMC with a 6.0L in the work bay, it was getting the engine tore down for new cam and lifters. The master tech (who did my lifter job) said that he could see gouges in the cam, 70K on the truck.

While at the dealership yesterday dropping off my mothers car to have some work done they had an 08 2500HD GMC with a 6.0L in the work bay, it was getting the engine tore down for new cam and lifters. The master tech (who did my lifter job) said that he could see gouges in the cam, 70K on the truck.

This could be an isolated incident. I wonder how often does the owner change the oil in this truck.

This could be an isolated incident. I wonder how often does the owner change the oil in this truck.

I can't answer that but it is a Co Op truck, they have a fleet.

• 1 month later...

Ok, feel I need to chime in here with my story.

I drive a 2010 silverado, also with the lifter tick issue. It has been happening since truck only had a few hundred miles. I drive many miles per year ( 60-70K per year) and I get the oil changed religiously every 3K to 4K miles regardless of the oil life system.

I noticed the noise early on in the trucks life but as time and miles wore on, the noise of the lifter tick usually when cold start but sometime also when warm, got worse. It went from lasting 5 to 10 seconds to eventually sometimes a minute or two.

I decided to take it to the dealership. Truck at this point had 83K miles. They kept the truck for 5 days and while they verified the tick when cold, it never lasted longer than 10 seconds. GM suggested to the dealer that they change the oil. They still had lifter ticks after this. GM then said that before they could do anything else, the dealer had to add some kind of a fluid to the oil to attempt to free any sticking lifters.

They had me come get the truck and drive it for a few thousand miles to see what happened. Well, it did nothing. Truck still had lifter tick up to 8K miles later.

I took the truck back last week, and said that they can keep the truck for several days to attempt to verify the lifter tick again. They called two days after me dropping the truck of and said it won't tick longer that 2 to 5 seconds and "that is normal".

I then sent them a link to a video on youtube that I took after the first trip to the dealer and after they had installed the additive to the oil. I only videoed the lifter tick for 90 seconds but it actually went on for about 3 minutes that time. This was several thousand miles after oil additive.

This was not good enough for them. Even though it was my truck in the video, and you can clearly hear the lifters, according to GM, the dealer mechanic had to be to actual person who hears it while it is happening, so while the video was interesting, it was no use to them.

I then told them they can keep it as long as they needed to verify the issue because there is a problem and I'm not picking it up until it was fixed.

I got a call the very next morning stating that GM has agreeded to replace all the lifters "and the cam" also.

I picked the truck up today so I don't have much to add to how well it is working but time will tell.

Hope this helps others who also might be having the same issue. In my opinion, this is a very wide spread problem and should be a recall, not a tech bulletin! Just my 2 cents.

Take care.

Ok, feel I need to chime in here with my story.

I drive a 2010 silverado, also with the lifter tick issue. It has been happening since truck only had a few hundred miles. I drive many miles per year ( 60-70K per year) and I get the oil changed religiously every 3K to 4K miles regardless of the oil life system.

I noticed the noise early on in the trucks life but as time and miles wore on, the noise of the lifter tick usually when cold start but sometime also when warm, got worse. It went from lasting 5 to 10 seconds to eventually sometimes a minute or two.

I decided to take it to the dealership. Truck at this point had 83K miles. They kept the truck for 5 days and while they verified the tick when cold, it never lasted longer than 10 seconds. GM suggested to the dealer that they change the oil. They still had lifter ticks after this. GM then said that before they could do anything else, the dealer had to add some kind of a fluid to the oil to attempt to free any sticking lifters.

They had me come get the truck and drive it for a few thousand miles to see what happened. Well, it did nothing. Truck still had lifter tick up to 8K miles later.

I took the truck back last week, and said that they can keep the truck for several days to attempt to verify the lifter tick again. They called two days after me dropping the truck of and said it won't tick longer that 2 to 5 seconds and "that is normal".

I then sent them a link to a video on youtube that I took after the first trip to the dealer and after they had installed the additive to the oil. I only videoed the lifter tick for 90 seconds but it actually went on for about 3 minutes that time. This was several thousand miles after oil additive.

This was not good enough for them. Even though it was my truck in the video, and you can clearly hear the lifters, according to GM, the dealer mechanic had to be to actual person who hears it while it is happening, so while the video was interesting, it was no use to them.

I then told them they can keep it as long as they needed to verify the issue because there is a problem and I'm not picking it up until it was fixed.

I got a call the very next morning stating that GM has agreeded to replace all the lifters "and the cam" also.

I picked the truck up today so I don't have much to add to how well it is working but time will tell.

Hope this helps others who also might be having the same issue. In my opinion, this is a very wide spread problem and should be a recall, not a tech bulletin! Just my 2 cents.

Take care.

I exactly went through the same experience and they finally replaced the cam and lifters, sound is back to the same level when it was brand new plus oil pressure started to drop lower than before the repair, will do the pump and see.

Good luck

• 1 month later...

2010 5.3 sierra, same exact ticking, i can even hear it when accelerating...! Also same exact oil pressure issues(my same year yukon and 99 silverado both 5.3s idle at 40+)

Dealer said its normal oil pressure, i called him a liar, and u know how that went! Downhill... So its at another dealer right now

Update:

Returned to the dealer to have my body cables replaced(which wouldnt fit due to the amp research power steps installed :/) and the tech wanted to ride with me bc since he couldnt install the cables, he torqueed some other bolts and wanted to listen for the sound. We drove the vehicle and I showed him my oil pressure that was idling at 20-25lbs and only hitting 35lbs when driving. He agreed it is not normal, I also got him to listen to my "tick". When driving, if i lightly accelerate, you can here a tap(similar to exhaust leak) but it is coming from what seems to be left wheel area under floor board. He agreed that is bad and said they have had issues with lifters. Upon returning to shop, service advisor agreed to have the truck brought in next week and was going to address BOTH issues :) crossing my fingers... will update next week

Well oil filter obviously hasnt stopped my "hot tick"

But i feel i need to explain mine more after reading another thread. My tick(more of a rattle) occurs when at constant speed and then i lightly push the accelerator or if cruise control is on and at constant speed and i approach a small hill or load etc... I here the tick then! I read this can be blamed on the "smart"6 speed transmission. I read it starts to "preload" the next gear in anticipation for a downshift...and this is the rattling tick i hear. Anyone heard this or know about it? Or is it utter bs?

Archived