Looking for a solution to TPMS

I'm a new member and have a question I'm hoping someone can answer. I bought a new 2011 GMC 2500HD, I couldn't be happier, truck is as good or better than anything I've had. Always had Fords, 2 - F150's, 2 - F250's, 1 - F350 SRW and 1 - F350 Dually. This is my first GMC and it's one hell of a good truck.

Here's my question, I just put a ReadyLift leveling kit on it and put my winter tires on. BFG Mud Terrains KM2, 285's on the stock 17 inch rims. The TPMS is preset for 65psi in the front and 75psi in the rear. Who ever heard of 75psi in the rear with no load. I flashed the sensors backwards, the fronts read the rear and the rear reads the front. This allows me to run 65 in the front and 55 in the rear without the dash lighting up. My dealer refuses to lower the threshold on the computer.

Has anyone else had this problem and if so what did you do to fix it.

BTW, got my hands on 4 sensors and programmed them in, but they would drop out of the system after about 30 minutes of driving. Sensors in the spare tire just don't work.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Kevin

2008 GMC 2500HD. I think mine calls for 52 fronts and 70 rear. If the tires are aired to that, the TPMS will not go off. The service rep said there cannot be that much of a difference in air pressure between any of the tires. This makes no sense because the sticker on the door calls for these pressures. Since I am not towing anything heavy, I run all four at 55lbs and that keeps the tpms happy, the truck rides really rough with 70lbs. Everytime I get tires rotated or an oil change, I tell them not to invlate the rears to the spec'd pressure.

Either put them in a pressurized PVC tube or have the system recalibrated at the dealer. After putting on aftermarket rims and tires I did the latter...

What do you mean by re-calibrated? Did they change the pressures that they alarm at or just sync them to the tire location?

The dealer can set them to a different setting spec.

BUT only to either the 1/2 ton specs or the 3/4 ton specs.

This must be done with the Tech 2 machine.

One dealer reset my 07 2500 to the 1500? specs so I could run 50 psi in all 4

instead of the 50 frt. 80 rear for a softer ride. I can only assume this is the 1/2

ton specs.

I don't think they can set them to any random number pressure...................

Most dealers won't anyhoo.

I wonder if one if the PCM burn/tuners can "turn off/tune out" the TPMS ?

I know something similar been done for the Suburban owners to shut off the auto level/auto ride

warning messages/SES lights when they went to regular aftermarket shocks when the $pendy

auto level shocks in the Burbs failed.

There are posts here about it.

instead of the 50 frt. 80 rear for a softer ride. I can only assume this is the 1/2

ton specs.

I don't think they can set them to any random number pressure...................

Most dealers won't anyhoo.

I wonder if one if the PCM burn/tuners can "turn off/tune out" the TPMS ?

I know something similar been done for the Suburban owners to shut off the auto level/auto ride

warning messages/SES lights when they went to regular aftermarket shocks when the $pendy

auto level shocks in the Burbs failed.

There are posts here about it.

You can in fact have them set to any number you want ( I have had it done on my 09 by a GM tech). The fronts spec is set at the factory 60 psi and I requested the rear spec be 50 psi (but I could have made it what ever I wanted F &R

It is almost impossible it seems to find a dealership willing to mess with the TPMS, after about a dozen different inquiries I got lucky and have become friendly with a really cool service department/manager and a tech at a Chevrolet commercial truck/Isuzu division of a Chevy dealership. I hsve had only those guys do all my warranty work these past several years.

• 1 year later...

ton specs.

I just had this done to my 2012 2500...the dealer could only drop the TPMS to 50psi, that was as low as the scanner would allow them to go. Cost me $15.

They gave me the song and dance that too low of tire pressure and towing, yada, yada, yada...told the service man I had been driving/towing/hauling longer than he had been a service manager, and way before TPMS was even thought about, not all of us are car illiterate. So be prepared, especially if they suspect you tow/haul (like if you have 5vr rails).

• 1 month later...

I just had this done to my 2012 2500...the dealer could only drop the TPMS to 50psi, that was as low as the scanner would allow them to go. Cost me $15.

They gave me the song and dance that too low of tire pressure and towing, yada, yada, yada...told the service man I had been driving/towing/hauling longer than he had been a service manager, and way before TPMS was even thought about, not all of us are car illiterate. So be prepared, especially if they suspect you tow/haul (like if you have 5vr rails).

If it is set at 50PSI, then it should alarm at plus or minus 25% of that if I recall correctly. that would mean that if you are 63psi or greater, you get the overinflated alarm, 37psi of less for underinflated... perhaps I don't understand how it works...

• 1 year later...

If it is set at 50PSI, then it should alarm at plus or minus 25% of that if I recall correctly. that would mean that if you are 63psi or greater, you get the overinflated alarm, 37psi of less for underinflated... perhaps I don't understand how it works...

I was searching for something else and came across this...I have ran anything from 50psi all the way to 80 psi without any hiccup. The only time it gives me trouble is in the fall, cold mornings will trigger the TPMS until the tires warm up (with the pressure set right at 50psi). Add a little air up to 55psi, and problem solved.

I think it has more to do with comparing air pressure between tires, than whether it hits some predetermined pressure...if its a cloudy morning and all my tires drop equally, I'm fine; if one set is in the morning sun (ie. they are warm), I get a TPMS warning for the cold side.

• 4 weeks later...

I was running 65 PSI in the rear tires of my 2011 2500HD Duramax truck and after 4,000 miles it was obvious that they were underinflated. I increased the PSI to 80 in the rear and no more problems with even wear across the tread. I can now apprciate the foolishness of using a tire manufacturer's load chart instead of the truck manufacturer's tire pressure recommendations.

Archived