Wheel Bearing out already?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ShoddyHog

ShoddyHog

Enthusiast

• 446 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 01:06 PM

I have a 2009 Silverado 1500 Extended Cab, Long Bed shown below. It just turned over 50,000 miles. It is stock -- no suspension mods.

A couple weeks ago, my daughter told me she could hear a squeaking noise. I couldn't hear it (have high frequency hearing loss), but with the window down I finally did hear it a couple times when it obviously squeaked louder. I turned around and parked the truck, and got under it to see if I could see anything visibly wrong. I didn't, but the noise went away, and I've probably put 500 miles on it since and assumed it was just some dirt that got on a pad.

After hauling two loads of wood yesterday, it is back, and getting worse. If moving straight down the road, it disappeared. Going around a slight sweeping corner to the right (and I do mean slight), it would squeak. If I touch the brakes, it stopped. As of yesterday, it now seems to be squeaking regardless of if I have the brakes applied or not.

1. The truck has seen pretty mild driving, and only a few hard panic brakes. The most work she's seen is hauling wood and other heavy stuff, but probably only a dozen times in 50,000 miles. Does this sound like brakes or a wheel bearing?

2. If it is a wheel bearing, since it is a 4wd, is that covered under the 100,000 mile powertrain warranty? My gut says it isn't, but if it is, I'm taking it straight to the dealer to be fixed.

Thanks for any help!

Edited by ShoddyHog, 20 November 2011 - 01:07 PM.

2006 Pontiac GTO - "Charlotte" - 6 Speed - Phantom Black - 6.0L - L92 Heads / FTI StreetSweeper-HT Cam / Bolt-ons / Self-tuned with HP Tuners Pro / 438rwhp - 405rwtq
2009 Chevy Silverado - "Bertha" - 1500 LT ECLB 4x4 - 5.3L - Flex Fool/Active Fuel Manglement - 3.73s - Bone Stock (as far as you know)
Posted Image

#2 RyanbabZ71

RyanbabZ71

Administrator

• Senior Moderator
  • 18,560 posts
  • Name:Ryan
  • Drives:2010 Chevy Silverado Crewcab Z71 6.2L

Posted 20 November 2011 - 01:09 PM

A bad wheel bearing usually makes a loud HUM noise.

Ryan

2010 Silverado Crewcab 4wd Z71 6.2L V-8 (L9H) Flex Fuel 6 Speed Transmission Sheer Silver Metallic
2012 Camaro 2SS Convertible 6.2L V-8 (L99) Ashen Gray Metallic
My Garage: http://www.gm-trucks...gallery&user=56
Camaro Mods http://www.camaro5.c...ad.php?t=257256

med_gallery_56_1830_72290.jpg

#3 ShoddyHog

ShoddyHog

Enthusiast

• 446 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 01:31 PM

Thanks, Ryan. I did some searches and that's what I've read, but hadn't found one for a truck as new as mine. I've also never had to troubleshoot a 4wd noise.

The rotors need to be resurfaced anyway, so I'll just have a local shop do a brake job, and see where that gets me. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to end up tearing it up worse by driving it to work this week. Don't want to drive my black car in the rain. :-)
2006 Pontiac GTO - "Charlotte" - 6 Speed - Phantom Black - 6.0L - L92 Heads / FTI StreetSweeper-HT Cam / Bolt-ons / Self-tuned with HP Tuners Pro / 438rwhp - 405rwtq
2009 Chevy Silverado - "Bertha" - 1500 LT ECLB 4x4 - 5.3L - Flex Fool/Active Fuel Manglement - 3.73s - Bone Stock (as far as you know)
Posted Image

#4 RyanbabZ71

RyanbabZ71

Administrator

• Senior Moderator
  • 18,560 posts
  • Name:Ryan
  • Drives:2010 Chevy Silverado Crewcab Z71 6.2L

Posted 20 November 2011 - 01:47 PM

My dad had 2 wheel bearings go out on his blazer. You couldnt hear the radio over the hum noise.

Ryan

2010 Silverado Crewcab 4wd Z71 6.2L V-8 (L9H) Flex Fuel 6 Speed Transmission Sheer Silver Metallic
2012 Camaro 2SS Convertible 6.2L V-8 (L99) Ashen Gray Metallic
My Garage: http://www.gm-trucks...gallery&user=56
Camaro Mods http://www.camaro5.c...ad.php?t=257256

med_gallery_56_1830_72290.jpg

#5 wavery

wavery

Enthusiast

• 646 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 01:58 PM

Sounds like it could be the brake pad wear sensors. That's what they are supposed to do. If you haven't had a brake job yet, the mileage is about right.
Wayne
2006 Silverado ExtraCab 1500 long bed, 4.8, A.T., 2WD, 3.23 gears, .A.R.E. camper shell with side storage cabinets, bed slide.
Posted Image

#6 ShoddyHog

ShoddyHog

Enthusiast

• 446 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 02:25 PM

Thanks folks. It isn't humming at all, and it does sound like other wear indicators I've hear. With my hearing problem though, and new to 4x4 sounds, I just wanted to make sure.
Posted Image

#7 music

music

Senior Enthusiast

• 2,518 posts
  • Name:Robert
  • Drives:08 Sierra 4wd Crew

Posted 20 November 2011 - 04:03 PM

It's best to check for play if you suspect wheel bearings, but it does not sound like it in your case. I'd check brakes, and if it's in the rear, check for squeaks @ the springs. I remember reading wheel hubs being dropped from the power-train coverage sometime in 2009, but they were covered prior to the change.

Edit: I just checked the GMC warranty info, and it shows wheel bearings as still being covered. So much for what I read, or remember.

Covered for 5 years/100,000 miles
Drive Systems

Final drive housing, all internal lubricated parts, axle shafts and bearings, constant velocity joints, axle housing, propeller shafts, universal joints, wheel bearings, locking hubs, front differential actuator, supports, front and rear hub bearings, seals and gaskets.

Edited by music, 20 November 2011 - 04:09 PM.

DSC03060.JPG

2008 GMC Sierra CC Z71 4wd

#8 ShoddyHog

ShoddyHog

Enthusiast

• 446 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 04:11 PM

lol...sounds like me. I have CRS...can't remember shiz. :-)

Since it needs brakes anyway, I'll have that done first and let them check the wheel bearings.

Thank you for the help. Nice to know it is covered if it turns out to be a bearing.
Posted Image

#9 Silverado4x4

Silverado4x4

Senior Enthusiast

• 2,324 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 05:08 PM

I have never heard wheel bearing squeek they humm, but like as said its the front disc brake wear sensors.

2015 White Double Cab Chevrolet Silverado Longbed 2500HD 4x4, 4:10 Gears, 6 Speed, 6.0 L
2015 Dark Blue Chevrolet Traverse 2LT AWD

#10 ShoddyHog

ShoddyHog

Enthusiast

• 446 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 07:50 AM

I have never heard wheel bearing squeek they humm, but like as said its the front disc brake wear sensors.

This morning, I left the stereo off, and paid 100% attention to how it drove. There's no humming noise at all (my hearing is fine except high freq, so I'd hear it), no "buzzing" or vibration from the steering column, and no vibration in the floorboard, and she feels like she's rolling as smooth and free as ever. I also did not hear the squeak at all this morning, so I'll make an appointment next week to get the brakes done. If we get a good couple days weather, I might even do it myself.

The only vibration in the truck at all is from the slightly out of balance tire. When they rotated it to the back, however, you can barely feel it.
Posted Image

#11 wavery

wavery

Enthusiast

• 646 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 07:16 PM

This morning, I left the stereo off, and paid 100% attention to how it drove. There's no humming noise at all (my hearing is fine except high freq, so I'd hear it), no "buzzing" or vibration from the steering column, and no vibration in the floorboard, and she feels like she's rolling as smooth and free as ever. I also did not hear the squeak at all this morning, so I'll make an appointment next week to get the brakes done. If we get a good couple days weather, I might even do it myself.

The only vibration in the truck at all is from the slightly out of balance tire. When they rotated it to the back, however, you can barely feel it.

Don't put it off. Once the sensors start scraping, the pads go really quick and you may damage a rotor. All it would take is one panic stop on the freeway and your rotor is toast.

Edited by wavery, 21 November 2011 - 07:17 PM.

Wayne
2006 Silverado ExtraCab 1500 long bed, 4.8, A.T., 2WD, 3.23 gears, .A.R.E. camper shell with side storage cabinets, bed slide.
Posted Image

#12 ShoddyHog

ShoddyHog

Enthusiast

• 446 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 09:40 AM

Don't put it off. Once the sensors start scraping, the pads go really quick and you may damage a rotor. All it would take is one panic stop on the freeway and your rotor is toast.

Thanks, that's good advice. It will be done the first possible day I can do it.

Edited by ShoddyHog, 22 November 2011 - 09:41 AM.

Posted Image

#13 white07gmc

white07gmc

Enthusiast

• 238 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 09:33 AM

I had both wheel bearings replaced under the 100,000 mile power train warranty. My drivers side bearing was going bad and the dealer went ahead and replaced both just to be safe. I think GM changes more wheel bearing then they do oil changes. Known issue.

Posted Image

Kenwood DNX 7100 / Kenwood Bluetooth / Kenwood Backup Camera / 2 Kicker 10" CVR's / Alpine MRP M350 / 8000k HID Headlights / 8000k HID Fog Lights / Pace Edwards JackRabbit W/ Explorer Rails / 2x Sprocket Rocket Racks / Load Warrior Basket / Passport Sr7 With Laser Shifters / Hypertech Max Energy

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users