Questions about level lifting GMT 800

I have an '04 Silverado that I love but I'm thinking about getting another truck to lift. I love the look of the leveled trucks but just really afraid to do it to my main truck that I rely on. Thinking about trying to find a 99-05 with fairly high miles. I assume either the 4.8 or 5.3 will work? Are the 3.73 gears a must? I doubt I would find one with 4.10. I was thinking about the ready lift 2.5 level kit. Maybe a rear block too to give it an overall slightly higher look and a little rake. 33" tires should fit with no rubbing right? As long as they are not too wide. Is everything else still solid when doing this. I've heard about people that have done lifts that ruined their transmissions, front end, and axles. Just going up to a 33" tire is not going put more strain on other components is it? I want it to still be safe and reliable. Also what do ya'll think it would do to the gas mileage? I know it will be a noticeable drop, but is it unrealistic to hope for like 14 easy highway miles. Most my driving is 50-65 mph highway. I would just be pretty disappointed to be getting like 9-10 mpg. After all, leveled with 33s is not some monster truck configuration.

Seems like I could help you a bit. I bought my truck when it was all stock, already had the L33, 4.10's, and the front was definitely sagging. I wanted to run 35's, so I got a 3" body lift, Pro Comp 2.5" keys, and called it a day. (I added the 5" blocks later) I can't say for sure if 33's would fit, so I can't help you on that part. Even with as high as mine is, I get 13 mpg at 65, and around 14 at 55. Since I lifted it, obviously I've had to replace the brakes, a drivers side wheel bearing, ball joints, plug drag and pitman arms in the steering. You gotta pay to play, and that's what I'm doing for not getting the full 6" lift and going the cheap route.

You can easily get 2" of lift out of your current truck by cranking on the stock torsion bar keys. Don't go over that or you can have issues with your front suspension parts. Once "leveled", you can run a 285 (33") tire without fail. Plenty of examples out there of people doing just that.

You don't loose mileage from leveling or lifting... you loose mileage with the larger tires. With that said, when geared properly, you can get near stock mileage. My 03 5.3L 4-speed with 4.10 gears ran 35" tires with a 6" lift and I achieved all day long 14-15mpg intown and 18-19mpg highway as long as I kept the speed below 70mph.

So... I assure you with 100% you can crank your current torsion bars to get a full 2" of lift out of the front without issue. You can run 285's after but you will need some kind of tune to adjust for the larger tires. If you don't, it will throw off your speedo, your shift points, and your mileage. I don't recommend running larger keys to achieve more lift than that. You WILL start having issues with ball joints, CV joints and tie-rod ends if you over extend your front suspension. And anytime you crank the torsion bars, you'll need an alignment. :thumbs:

You can Take it or leave it. Good luck.

If all you want to do is level your ride. Then do it. I debated about it for literally years (warranty worries), once that was gone,I jumped in a put a leveling kit in & never looked back. Yes I know you can just crank your bars to get the same thing but before I found this site I was told that my truck would ride like crap. I just wanted level as well (didn't even want bigger tires, still don't). Anyway looking back (after finding this site) I would've just cranked the bars & game on. Since you are talking bigger tires & if you have the budget I'd find a play truck. One day the old '76 I have will get a makeover & will get all the crazy mods. This is one only gets the useful mods...well leveling isn't "useful" but the factory rake drove me nuts.

Archived