6.2L (L9H) Owners - Get all your questions answered here

2009 was when they were first offered on the L9H 6.2 on LTZ crew cab models. Prior to 2009 there was a VMAX option it was a 6.0L with the 4 speed.

NHT models are 3.73 rear end. Yes all have 6 speeds. Not all 6.2 trucks are NHT. Mine is a Z71 with 3.23 rear gears. It's a 2010 LT crew cab model. In 2010 they offered the 6.2 in crewcab and ext cab trucks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by RyanbabZ71

• 2 weeks later...

Nice truck! Did you buy private party or from dealer? Used 6.2 sierras are next to impossible to find in my area.

Sorry for the late reply, been a busy Summer and I haven't been on the site for a while.

I bought it from a GMC Dealership in Minnesota, flew over there and drove it home 750 miles. I got 19 mpg on the way home with it.

It doesn't get that anymore though after installing a 4" CST lift, 20x10 Hostile wheels and 295/55/20 Toyo MT's.

I don't know if I read anywhere in here if anyone has removed the rear resonator. I want to eliminate the tailpipe at the rear and just have a tip installed after the rear axle. I just don't really want it to be much louder then stock. Thought maybe eliminating the resonator and adding the tip in place may cause some drone which I don't want.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 10:26 PM, dsmmace said:

Remove the third cat instead. That will not cause any drone and will give you a bit more noise.

I am really just looking to eliminate the tailpipe straight out the back. What I would like is to just dump it over the rear axle with a new tip, but that resonator is there. I wanted to see if anyone else has done this and whether or not I would get drone without the resonator.

Edited by SSchup
correction

On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 11:25 PM, dsmmace said:

Drone reduction is what the resonator’s purpose is.

That's what I was afraid of. Was hoping someone here had done it and could say whether or not it actually caused drone.

On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 11:00 PM, 2009GMC said:

Anyone near me have a GMC 4x4 crew cab 6.2 they are selling? Of course I’d prefer a private party non rust belt truck ;-)

They are tough to find, unless your looking for a newer then 2013. I searched for 6 months, but I only wanted white and it had to be an LTZ or SLT crew cab.

I ended up getting mine in Minnesota, but it was very clean. I had them put it on a hoist and send me pictures of the underside to make sure I wasn't making a wild goose chase.

• 1 month later...

Not really a 6.2 engine question but the 6.2 transmission from my Escalade. I'm looking to rebuild a 6L80(e) over the course of a couple months because I think mine is on its way out (180k, hard shifting, etc...) I'm a little confused with sourcing a core though. Will any 6L80(e) work? Or are they specific to the 6.2 models - i.ei bell housing, bolt pattern, case length, etc... I can find the 6L80(e) all over the place in junkyards in Tahoe's, Silverado's, Yukon's, all with the 5.3. Will there be any problems using this? Aside from the AWD transfer case obviously. 

On 2/5/2018 at 12:21 PM, jrobie79 said:

Not really a 6.2 engine question but the 6.2 transmission from my Escalade. I'm looking to rebuild a 6L80(e) over the course of a couple months because I think mine is on its way out (180k, hard shifting, etc...) I'm a little confused with sourcing a core though. Will any 6L80(e) work? Or are they specific to the 6.2 models - i.ei bell housing, bolt pattern, case length, etc... I can find the 6L80(e) all over the place in junkyards in Tahoe's, Silverado's, Yukon's, all with the 5.3. Will there be any problems using this? Aside from the AWD transfer case obviously. 

You will get more responses if you start a new topic for your replacement 6l80 search. I know 1 or 2 forum members have swapped in a 6.2 to replace their 5.3 so as long as you junk truck or suv is a 2009 4x4 with 6l80 you should have no problem. If it was me I would find the sticker or stamping on transmission and make sure the model number matches along with electrical connections. I’m sure GM mass produced the 6l80 and stuffed it behind 5.3 and 6.2. FYI 4.3 v6 and 4.8 v8 reg cab or work trucks still had 4l60 even after 2009. 

Of of course these are all my assumptions :-)

BTW I remember reading a article of a company swapping in the 2wd 4hi 4lo transfer case to replace awd transfer case. They said it was as easy as doing the swap and all connections plugged in. Just had to source the 4wd selector switch for dash. 

Edited by 2009GMC

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Can I join this club with a new to me 2007 Yukon XL Denali? “Upgrading” from the old faithful 2003 5.3L Yukon XL, and I’ll be having lots of questions about all this new fangled technology I’ve got myself into.