afm delete?

I have a 2011,with 5.3l,the only time I notice it going into v4 is around town,I think it is because it is lugging and should proably be in a lower gear so it tends to be a little rough in v4 at these low speeds but anything above 45Kph,you would never know it is going in and out of v4 mode,it is absolutely seamless, you would never know if the dash was not telling you.In my truck I feel it should be programed to only come on after you are above 50KPH.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It won't be coming this generation I am sure, there is no reason for them to add it this late in the game and right now no one outside of GM knows what the next-generation engines will really be like so it's not even worth guessing at this point.

It's because there are different 6.2 engine variants

(null)

I know there are but I just can't see GM adding AFM to the pickups (at least the 900s) this late in the game. It's not like they wanted to wait and see how it withstood real world duty- the 5.3 is obviously the volume engine so that isn't the case. I can't see cost being an issue either as real world prices (ie what GM pays) for an AFM 5.3 can't be much different than what a AFM 6.2 would cost.

• 4 weeks later...

I read that some of you are having piston slap problems on the 5.3L. Well, I have a 2010 Silverado and at 4k miles I had what sounded like piston slap, but was lifter noise. There is a TSB on this issue for the 5.3L with AFM on 2007 thru 2011. Get the dealer to fix it. There are new lifters that need to be installed. Just an fyi. Good luck!

• 1 year later...

I tune my got rid of displacement on demand for oil consumption gm replaced my rings once And shifting issues

I tune my got rid of displacement on demand for oil consumption gm replaced my rings once And shifting issues

• 10 months later...

I have a 2011 and I hate the way AFM works. I just ordered one of them Range Technology things that plugs into the diagnostic port under the drivers side dash. It's supposed to keep it in v8 mode all the time and not let it switch into v4 mode. Up until I get the Range thing I just been putting it in M5 around town.

I have used the Range, still have it, but am presently running a Diablo 87 tune and have the AFM shut off. I noticed it right away driving my new 2013 home from the dealer. Within two days, had the Range plugged in. The rolling hills the are the primary feature of the rural roads around me, the AFM was noticeable switching back to V8 on the start of a hill and even lent itself to more frequent downshifting on hills compared to having it disabled. I hadn't been up to speed on the oil consumption issues that had been documented, but learned about it quickly and that was another reason for disabling AFM And in the final analysis, it is just the old Cavalry sergeant in me... I can't stand everyone not packing the gear. I bought 8 cylinders, I expect them to work all the time the key is on, and it goes against the grain for cylinders to shut down on government sponsored smoke breaks while the other cylinders have to do the work. Nope. Everyone has to pack the gear. No slackers. Over time, I have realized with this engine that having this mindset can avoid a lot of problems down the road.

It is just one of the things that I didn't order, don't want it, and I disabled it. The DRL's were another. Fuses got pulled within 48 hrs of the pickup arriving at my house new from the dealer. Seems like as models "improve" over the newer model trends, I have to override, disable, or remove more stuff with each new vehicle.

• 3 years later...
On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2011 at 6:16 PM, spankrz said:

does anyone know if the oil consumption issue is resolved if afm is turned OFF during a tune?

2008 Suburban LTZ with 215,000 miles - She is an oil burning and a plug fouler. I just added a Hypertech Tuner to turn OFF AFM. It works great! I don't foul plugs anymore, but I still burn oil. I was told it was because my stock, original valve cover does not have the newer baffle in it to deflect oil from going into the PVC valve and then into the intake where it gets burnt up. Im going to put on my new valve cover tonight, which should help burning oil through the PVC valve. Deleting the AFM is great and the firmer shifts are nice too. I recommend doing this on any AFM engine to avoid plug fouling.

Archived