Engine noise. Can you help identify?

Hi,

I was wondering if someone could help identify this noise. It's in my 1990 GMC with a 5.7 tbi. It sounds like valve train noise but I could be wrong. It doesn't really change with engine temperature or anything. It started after driving on the highway for about 300 miles. I was asleep in back and apparently the individual driving was abusing it pretty hard to get home fast.

Here is a link to a video with the engine running:

I've also attached the video file.

Thanks for your help.

Hi,

I was wondering if someone could help identify this noise. It's in my 1990 GMC with a 5.7 tbi. It sounds like valve train noise but I could be wrong. It doesn't really change with engine temperature or anything. It started after driving on the highway for about 300 miles. I was asleep in back and apparently the individual driving was abusing it pretty hard to get home fast.

Here is a link to a video with the engine running:

I've also attached the video file.

Thanks for your help.

Sounds like a broken valve spring, bent push rod or a rocker arm stud pulled out of the head......SHUT IT OFF....... pull the valve cover before you start it again (don't rev it). I think the problem will be apparent.

Hmm, it's a bit hard to tell what bank it's coming from. I only revved it to make sure the noise was outlined more clearly. It's off and won't be started again until I diagnose further.

To determine which side, put a stethoscope against each valve cover (a wood dowel or cut off broom stick will do the same thing even your ear against a screw driver may work). It will be very apparent which side the problem is on unless it's a broken lifter but it didn't sound like it to me...... sorta hard to tell from a recording though..

Archived