Are Flowmax Exhaust systems any good?

I have a 2009 Silverado 5.3 with the stock exhaust. I want more rumble with out being obnoxiously loud. There is a deal here in Keller,tx for dual exhaust from Flomax for a good price. My understanding is that it's the knock off brand of Flowmaster? Does any one have it here and what are your opinions on it? The install is 150 less than a Flowmaster setup.

Find your self a Magnaflow, Dynomax, Borla, or Corsa...One of these manufactures should have something in your price range..Flowmasters aren't the Cats Meow like they used to be...

I used to have flowmaster on my trucks quite a few years ago. Didn't care for it much. I have went with Dynomax since and I am really happy with it. I've got the ultra flow muffler.

I used to have flowmaster on my trucks quite a few years ago. Didn't care for it much. I have went with Dynomax since and I am really happy with it. I've got the ultra flow muffler.

How do you like it? I just got mine and sometimes I here drone and other times I dont. Alot of it I think is coming from getting the clamps to seal the pipes good. (Just retorquing and adjusting, nothing serious)

How do you like it? I just got mine and sometimes I here drone and other times I dont. Alot of it I think is coming from getting the clamps to seal the pipes good. (Just retorquing and adjusting, nothing serious)

I just installed the Dynomax Ultraflow cat back on my 07 CC...No drone so far..

I'm not exactly sure what is considered "drone". I mean I can hear it all the time when driving. I don't know if that's considered drone or not, but that's why I put an exhaust on, so I can hear it. It seems like it has gotten louder as it's gotten older (3.5 years) but I like it. I just ordered the muffler and tips and had an exhaust shop run pipe exactly how I wanted it.

The Magnaflow is awesome sounding! Has a nice sound and at cruising speed I can still have a conversation. This going to hurt my milage for sure. I can't keep my damn foot out of it. absolutely love it. Next is side steps and intake. Any suggestions guys?

The Magnaflow is awesome sounding! Has a nice sound and at cruising speed I can still have a conversation. This going to hurt my milage for sure. I can't keep my damn foot out of it. absolutely love it. Next is side steps and intake. Any suggestions guys?

I wouldn't waste your money on an intake. I made the mistake once and bought a full K&N cold air intake for my 97 Z-71 and the only thing I got out of it was a loud whistling noise from under the hood. Didn't gain mpg's or power... Same goes for the drop in filters, didn't gain squat.

I'm not exactly sure what is considered "drone". I mean I can hear it all the time when driving. I don't know if that's considered drone or not, but that's why I put an exhaust on, so I can hear it. It seems like it has gotten louder as it's gotten older (3.5 years) but I like it. I just ordered the muffler and tips and had an exhaust shop run pipe exactly how I wanted it.

"Drone" is when the exhaust system emits sound waves that will resonate up through the cab's air, usually at idle or sustained RPM, and seems to start drowning out all other sound. It is distinct from the desired sound the system provides, and can even drown out the exhaust's true sound. It actually has more to do with the air and the system's proximity to other things under the vehicle, and not so much the fault of the exhaust system or its workings. One brand's proclivity to drone versus another's is only relevant when the system's size (muffler size, pipe diameter, etc.) and shape is taken into account compared with a specific vehicle's underparts; a Flowmaster 40 system that drones like crazy under a '72 Chevy truck may sound like a champ under an '87.

"Drone" is when the exhaust system emits sound waves that will resonate up through the cab's air, usually at idle or sustained RPM, and seems to start drowning out all other sound. It is distinct from the desired sound the system provides, and can even drown out the exhaust's true sound. It actually has more to do with the air and the system's proximity to other things under the vehicle, and not so much the fault of the exhaust system or its workings. One brand's proclivity to drone versus another's is only relevant when the system's size (muffler size, pipe diameter, etc.) and shape is taken into account compared with a specific vehicle's underparts; a Flowmaster 40 system that drones like crazy under a '72 Chevy truck may sound like a champ under an '87.

Exactly. Well stated sir.

Archived