no power to my trailer plug

These days there are fuses all over the place in these trucks. There should be a fuse block inside the truck as well. There might be a fuse or two blown inside the cab you need to look at. Make sure the wires are all still connected at the plug to. Hope you figure it out.

If I remember correctly, you have to connect the wire under the hood to supply the 12v power to the plug. I'm speaking of the charging circuit of course, and not for lights.

Here is an image of the fuse panel showing 'stud #1' and 'stud #2' that need to be connected for the trailer brakes, and the 12v charging circuit.

TrailerWireHookup.jpg

Hope that helps.

yup have a test light ...connections in the back of the truck are good...no power there though either.. fuses are good but dont have power to some of the trailer ones under the hood...im thinking theres a circuit breaker somewhere

Have you check the trailer fuses in the fuse box on the left side of you dash also? To check both power studs at the fuse box underhood you'll need to remove a brace to remove the surrounding plastic case to get to them have you done this?

there are no trailer fuses in the dash and i have power to the studs in the front of the fuse box under the hood and the wires are hooked up.

I don't know I'm at a loss. My truck has also has fuses for trailer lights in the fuse panel on the left side of the dash near the door jam. A bad ground will also drive you nuts when it come to wiring. Hope you can get it figured out.

You say no power for anything so I assume no turn signals or running lights. Are you testing at the plug with your test light? This is where you should start. Connect your test light to a good ground source, a clean, not rusted bolt head will work. Now turn on the emergency flashers and parking lights.

Here is your connector

faq043_tt_500.jpg

You will show flashing power on pins 6 and 6,

Solid on Pin 3 and since you say you have the 12v feed connected under the hood then pin 4 should be light as well.

If these test ok but you have no lights with the trailer connected then you have a ground issue. A good test is to take a jumper cable and connect it between the truck frame and the trailer frame.

Archived