Towing question: 17" Wheels versus 18" Wheels?

manley

Why does the NHT package only come with 17" wheels? (If you have the Z71 package, the NHT is not available). Is the 17" wheel & tire combo more capable? I know that tire options are significantly more for a 17" than an 18", which allows you to stay at the same size but opt for an LT tire instead of a P tire...

The 17" and 18" tire sizes are essentially the same:

P 265 / 65R 18 - 10.4" wide, 31.6" tall, with weight capacity of 2,469 pound.

P 265 / 70R 17 - 10.5" wide, 31.7" tall, with weight capacity of 2,535 pounds

What am I missing, and why are the 17" wheels & tires rated to carry more?

Does more sidewall give you more towing capacity?

I want something that looks a little different, but not aftermarket, and am SERIOUSLY considering swapping my 18" Z71 "standard" wheel/tire combos for a 17" set like this:

IMG_4995.JPG

The 17" wheel gives you more sidewall/cushion/air, which matters most when you hit potholes and such with a heavy load. I don't know how much different an 18 is, but lots of folks tow with 18's. I think the stock wheel size on the newer Tundra is 18, but the OD on the tire is the same as a 265/70/17. I personally prefer more "meat" and less wheel, but I tow pretty heavy.

I tow with 17" wheels and have had great luck,the guys I talk to with 18's or 20's,have been complaining about stability when trailering,you would think the less sidewall the better it would handle with a trailer but apparently it is just the opposite.

Probably just a matter of the weight rating if I had to guess. I thought the NHTs got LT rated tires but I was wrong, maybe the 17" still has a higher load rating than the 18" size? I wouldn't let the small increase in towing force you to the NHT myself- if you like how the Z71 wheels look more than get a 6.2 with that package. It's insane to tow a max load with a half ton so that extra bit of capacity is a non issue in my book. The most I'd tow with any half ton would probably be 7000 lbs anyway. If I had to do more than that I'd want a HD truck. The comments about 18a not being for real trucks is stupid, ignore those. I hate how the current Chevy 17s look and regardless my truck with its "toy" 18s will do anything a similar truck with 17s can do.

The smaller dia wheels are a little stronger, but the extra sidewall flex in the taller profile tire absorbs road shock better. An 18 is only a little worse, but 20's are getting a bit crazy with a standard 6-lug cast wheel and a heavy load. I tow a heavy (7000 lbs loaded) camper quite a bit, and appreciate all the sidewall I can get when hitting a pothole @ 65 mph. I'm not overly worried about the tires, it's the karate chop to the wheels/lugs. That said, I would tow my camper with 18's without much more worry... but I prefer the 17 (which is the smallest we can go to clear the brakes).

I've always liked those 17" GMC wheels...and those are the first Ive seen with a Chevy center cap...I think those would look really good! That being said, there are plenty of 18" tires available with a LT rating....if you like your current 18" rims, then just upgrade your tires. I agree that it seems strange to put P-rated tires on a truck...but that happens when companies are more concerned with MPG's and ride comfort. Finally, those comments about 18" or 20" rims & tires being weaker and just for show....that's just plain silly. There are plenty of HD trucks running around with 10-ply, load range E tires...on 18's or 20's...towing and hauling all sorts of heavy stuff, every day.

I've always liked those 17" GMC wheels...and those are the first Ive seen with a Chevy center cap...I think those would look really good!

If I can get a decent deal on them, I'm going to do the deal. The guy's wife had surgery this week, and I'll know something (for sure) either tomorrow of Saturday. If I do the deal, I'll post a pic!

Thanks for the feedback, folks.

Finally, those comments about 18" or 20" rims & tires being weaker and just for show....that's just plain silly. There are plenty of HD trucks running around with 10-ply, load range E tires...on 18's or 20's...towing and hauling all sorts of heavy stuff, every day.

The aluminum wheels I've seen on the HD trucks are forged, and rated for the higher psi & stress. The 1500 Al wheels are cast.

Archived