Photo
- - - - -

Need help with rebuilding rear end!

rear end differential set-up

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 rdnckhntr94

rdnckhntr94

Jack of all trades, master of breaking anything I touch...

• 1,905 posts
  • Name:CJ
  • Drives:02 Silverado 5.3L

Posted 17 December 2011 - 11:27 PM

I have a 2002 Silverado and I need to know what special tools I need to rebuild my rear end for setting backlash and all that other good stuff. I'm even going to drop in a new LSD by Yukon Gear as well as a ring and pinion set by Yukon Gear. Can someone please let me know what specialty tools I need to complete this build, as well as the required torques on everything (Haynes manuals tell you to take it to a dealership :/ ) Any and all help will be greatly appreciated
First tow on 4.88's

4.88's, K&N, Spin Tech Sportsman 9000, 5000K lows, Hella FF75 fogs (w/ 5000K HID conversion), Cleared Headlights, Anzo USA parks, 05 Tails, Tows (levelled), BullyDog, 7" McGaughy's, 3" PA Body, Dominator II nerfs, 35's on 17's, Energy Suspension Bushings, FAL e-fans, 34" radiator, Dual rear piston calipers, 05+ front brakes, EBC green stuff pads and rotors, Goodridge brake hoses, Hydroboost, Sony HU and mono amp, Polk Audio speakers, dual 12's, "Big 3" upgrade, 200amp alternator, Blue LED interior lights, Weathertech... Want: 37's on 20's, Body Work & Paint Job

#2 TahoeMike

TahoeMike

• 672 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 11:31 PM

Here's the biggest tip I can give you, if you haven't done it before, take it to a professional! That'll save you lots of $$$ in the long run.
2008 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab Z71 4X4
Summit White

#3 rdnckhntr94

rdnckhntr94

• 1,905 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 11:35 PM

Then I would have to pay for the parts that I want, because supposably these factory LSD's are junk in my model truck, plus labor which will total to prob. bout 2000 total. If I were going to do that then I would just buy a rebuilt one from Jasper or somewhere similar
First tow on 4.88's

4.88's, K&N, Spin Tech Sportsman 9000, 5000K lows, Hella FF75 fogs (w/ 5000K HID conversion), Cleared Headlights, Anzo USA parks, 05 Tails, Tows (levelled), BullyDog, 7" McGaughy's, 3" PA Body, Dominator II nerfs, 35's on 17's, Energy Suspension Bushings, FAL e-fans, 34" radiator, Dual rear piston calipers, 05+ front brakes, EBC green stuff pads and rotors, Goodridge brake hoses, Hydroboost, Sony HU and mono amp, Polk Audio speakers, dual 12's, "Big 3" upgrade, 200amp alternator, Blue LED interior lights, Weathertech... Want: 37's on 20's, Body Work & Paint Job

#4 bigredmariner

bigredmariner

Just another Joker!

• 1,114 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 11:40 PM

Should be able to find all the info you want here. LINK

All tools and specs are listed as well as pictures.

Posted Image

#5 rdnckhntr94

rdnckhntr94

• 1,905 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 11:44 PM

Thats exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!
First tow on 4.88's

#6 bigredmariner

bigredmariner

Just another Joker!

• 1,114 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 11:53 PM

No problem.

Posted Image

#7 USMdude

USMdude

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,702 posts
  • Name:Jbo
  • Drives:1999 GMC Sierra

Posted 23 December 2011 - 02:39 AM

Money in the bank, ahead to take it and let somebody that has done several to do this for you. You need some special tools and not know what your doing to cause you to have to re-lick your calf if you don't get it right. That is you could have to pay for the same thing 2 times. I have seen people do this for years. And I laugh when I see them come back for the second set of parts.

But then again I'm just the parts guy....... but I do have all the tools, I just choose not to work on stuff for a living.

Jbo

#8 NickV

NickV

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,253 posts
  • Drives:2009 Sierra SLT 4X4

Posted 23 December 2011 - 08:50 AM

I'll pull motors and transmissions any time, but I don't do gears...
you need at least a mentor that knows what they are doing looking over your shoulders. If you screw it up you will be miserable. I took my last truck to a local shop with my own parts and spent $300 for the install. It was well worth it.

WARNING: Above advice is based on actual experience or just plain common sense. In the event said advise is determined to be incorrect you are entitled to a full refund of exactly what you paid for it.

2009 Sierra SLT CCSB 5.3/A6 Z71 4X4 HID | Weathertech | Truxedo Lo Pro QT | Passport 8500 | Underhood Storage | HP Tuners | Sprayed Bed Liner | Window Tint | CK951 wheels w/ Nitto Terra Grapplers | Painted Tailgate handle | Full 2" Altitude Adjustment
2003 Silverado LS ECSB 4.8/A4 2WD SOLD HID low/fog | Gibson Shorty Headers | Corsa Touring | Passport 8500 | Sprayed Liner | Billet Grille | HP Tuners | Eaton LSD | 3.73 Gear Swap | Esky Handles | Electric Fans | Center Console Swap | MTX Audio | Denali Cluster

#9 bigbamaZ71

bigbamaZ71

Enthusiast

• 1 posts
  • Drives:2002 chevy silverado z71

Posted 19 August 2012 - 12:37 PM

im having the same problem i have never had to deal with a rear end going bad. now i have the money to fix it but not enough to buy new i personaly have put a lot of thought into taking my 10 bolt out and putting a 14 bolt in its place but not sure what problems i will encounter any advice would be appreciated thanks

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users