2009 Sierra 5.3 Low Oil Pressure symtoms but actually OK

I found my bill. This what it said. Six engine codes, all senors are on 5 v. circuit. Found fuel tank pressure sensor shorting 5V circuit. He replaced sensor 3.107 which cost $69.10, but labor was $275.

Thanks for reporting back with the details.

DEWFPO

A screen that is in the AFM manifold oil passage right in front of the oil pressure sending unit. They are known to get plugged causing low oil pressure readings.

I lost oil pressure going down the freeway dealership told me that it was probably the AFM oil screen Just had it replaced $400 ..... replaced the screen and the oil pressure sending unit it is not covered under warranty it's considered a maintenance item.

I got my truck back on Saturday and everything seems to be back to normal.

I had several codes in my truck however, they were not related to the rootcause.

This turned out to be the issue that y original dealer informed me about.There is a Service Bulletin for this issue. This WAS indeed covered under warranty. Here is a list of what the dealer did.

Added a deflector (not sure what this is)

Clean the top end with some "cleaner"

added 2 gaskets

8 new Spark Plugs

Oil and Filter

cover? (Not sure what this is)

The Skid control was caused my the #6 cylinder mis-fire. The mis-fire was caused by oil creeping into the combustion chamber and fouling out. All was covered under the warranty. I was informed that at some point new piston and rings could be needed.

after this was completed the engine has missed really bad on two occasions. However, it has not done it in 2 days.

The check engine light is still on because I have a faulty evap solenoid that needs to be replaced. I am doing this on my own.

A screen that is in the AFM manifold oil passage right in front of the oil pressure sending unit. They are known to get plugged causing low oil pressure readings.

I lost oil pressure going down the freeway dealership told me that it was probably the AFM oil screen Just had it replaced $400 ..... replaced the screen and the oil pressure sending unit it is not covered under warranty it's considered a maintenance item.

That is BS, the sensor is mounted on the engine and not a wear and tear item. I am sure a call to GM customer care would get that issue resolved as well.

Mine has always had the lifter noise. However, i did notice that it was really loud when I started it on the time this problem occured.

I got a call from the dealer that did the work on Monday. As it turns out, the service manager is a friend of mine from High School. He told me that there is a problem with these engines that require oil to be shot/squirted into the bottom of the cylinders etc...etc... yada yada yada.

Anyway, there is a service bulletin for these engines that have fluctuating oil pressure that requires a kit be installed. In some cases the kit is not enough and new pistons and rings are required. It sounds like GM did not do their home work with their reliability testing. I am sure we can find the service bulletin on the net some where. The Service Manager said that they would refund all the work that was done replacing the oil sending unit.

After talking to him, I took my truck by the local GMC dealer and explained the long list and details of the failure mode. We made an appointment for the tomorrow to bring the truck in. As I was driving there the truck started running really rough. However, it was a "good" rough. If that makes sense. It never came close to stalling, it was just rough. The skid control lights came on again. The service guy told me that when something goes wrong, many times the vehicle will switch into a "safe mode". It shuts down many of the "systems" and allows the driver to reach safety and not get stalled. The skid control system was simply turned off therefore the indicators gave a warning. The check engine light was blinking at this point. He told me that a blinking check engine light is bad and we should not drive it. As I pulled out to go home the condition came back so I turned around and went back. He gave me a loaner and they will look at it tomorrow.

Update you tomorrow.

A blinking check engine light is a misfire indication.

Archived