My cousin has an 04 tb that he uses for mail delivery and recently its not been starting on him. All the accessories will turn on but when he hits the key to start nothing happens, the engine does not crank. If he does it a few times it eventually kicks over and all is well but this might not happen for at least 20 mins or so. Its got a good bit of miles on it and has seen better days but he doesn't want to drop a lot of time and money into it since its his work buggy, as long as it starts and moves he's OK with however that's accomplished. I said just hook up a push button switch to the solenoid so when you push the button it completes the circuit, same as if you tried starting an older vehicle with a screw driver in a pinch only cleaner lol. I dont see anything wrong with this and is only going to cost about 5 bucks and ten mins to hook up. Obviously he'll still need to turn the key to the ON position for fuel delivery but other than a switch mounted up on the dash, does anyone have any other reasons why this is a bad idea?

Thanks guys.

• 3 months later...

OK. Yes, this is an older posting.

I had similiar problem with my 1990 Chevrolet 1500. Mine was a manual. Had it towed local dealership and that mechanic told me it was the safety switch under the clutch pedal. Had replaced.

Except the problem kept coming back every few weeks or months. So I bought another switch and would change the switch myself. And get truck going.

Like a complete idiot I bought 5 of these switches. And every time this happened I would replace the switch. And truck would start. I stopped at a few dealerships and asked the mechanics. Finally one of them suggested that it might be a dead spot on the starter motor. And nothing to do with the switch. As the time it took to replace the switch the engine (starter) cooled enough. This went on for couple years. Finally I had the starter motor replaced and never had the issue again. Nothing to do with the switch. It was the starter motor.

Archived