Advent OGM-1 Owners: New feature requests?

Advent OGM-1 Owner's Poll  

115 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

In advance of our trip to the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas in ten days, we've been asked for feedback from Advent for future develoment of the OGM-1, to be included in either this platform or future revisions of the same unit, and i can't think of a better way to do it than ask current owners to contribute to the wish list.

I can't explain how refreshing it is to be asked to influence the course of a product like this (the first time in 35 years in the business!), and I really want to be prepared when we have a sit down with the guys that can make the difference.

My wish list:

Additional user-controlled information displayed from LAN looking for MPG info, trouble codes, engine management, etc.

Additional user-controlled graphics options, like backgrounds, boot screens, skins for the interface, etc.

Redesign of MediaLink pod and/or additional options for mounting it

Additional (front) camera capability

Bluetooth media/A2DP control interface improvement

Use factory mic for Bluetooth

Additional video codec support for USB/disc video playback (H.264, MP4, MPG, AVI)

iPod: support for additional menuing levels – i.e.; when you go to “Artist”, you should be able to scroll through the albums from that artist instead of all the songs from all the albums

iPod: Alphabetical access for every menu

iPhone: Ability to access streaming content via JLINKUSB cable

Smartphone control for menus, graphics, or transmit additional data to display on OGM-1

Ability to setup navi options on PC, then transfer settings to OGM-1

Some of the items on this list are already in development, but I'm listing them anyway, and some are pure dream material. With your help, I'm optimistic we can influence the design of this unit, and really make it a product that will continue being improved for many years to come.

Please participate in the poll so we can really get a snapshot of what everyone's priorites are, and feel free to add your input if your idea isn't already listed

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is what i have. Some of these are just to reiterate known issues.

General:

Ability to select which sources the source button will toggle through.

Move warning text on camera screen.

Time correction & crossover settings.

Ability to turn on camera while in motion.

Using the GM hands free just mutes USB, could it pause instead?

Music:

Is it possible to have one music player screen with selectable sources?

Playlist- filter for artist, album, etc. ability to add individual, or multiple to playlist.

More info on A2DP screen.

Album art on USB music.

Steering wheel control of A2DP.

Need some sort of ratings system for USB...thumbs up/thumbs down, or star ratings?

Nav:

Show track info on Nav screen.

Bugs

Can’t connect to bluetooth A2DP only, if I uncheck “Phone”, the connection drops entirely.

USB doesn't resume music, just starts over.

When listening to USB, Navigation voice comes in loud, then reduces to very low level.

Future platform:

Need options for button light colors. I'd love to get one of these for my wife's acadia, but the blue lighting would look pretty bad with the red.

Built in storage for music.

My $0.02:

1. Ditto on the time-distance corrections!.

2. Ability to disable/skip certain inputs when using the source button. Ex: If I dont have SAT radio and dont listen to AM, I would like to "uncheck" them so that when I am hitting the source button on the steering wheel it skips them when looping through.

3. When hitting the next/prev channel buttons in FM 1, it automatically jumps to FM2 after FM1-Station 6. Likewise, when on FM2-Station 6 it jumps back to FM1-Station 1. The OEM radio did this which was really nice.

4. Ability to answer a call from the steering wheel.

If I come up with more before you go I will add them.

Thanks for asking, its nice to see they are asking for it. Is there any planned Firmware release in the near future?

Ernie

I am currently not an OGM-1 owner, but I am seriously considering purchasing one inthe near future. The big issue holding me back is that it can't use the factorry blue tooth mic. My whole goal is always to modify while keeping the stock factory look. That is actually one of the things I really like about the unit. It looks so much like the factory nav system.

I am currently not an OGM-1 owner, but I am seriously considering purchasing one inthe near future. The big issue holding me back is that it can't use the factorry blue tooth mic. My whole goal is always to modify while keeping the stock factory look. That is actually one of the things I really like about the unit. It looks so much like the factory nav system.

I currently still use the stock bluetooth for phone because of integration with the truck. For example, when a call comes in the A/C blower is lowered to reduce background noise. Also, answering and ending call with the steering wheel controls is easier & safer (IMO) than reaching for the screen. If those issues (and the sound quality of the calls) could be addressed, I'd be all over using the Advent's bluetooth. The Advent's microphone is pretty small, and you don't really notice it, so that's a non-issue for me.

One thing I noticed that doesn't come with the default Ipod controls:

- Access to Podcasts

This is typically under the menu options with Artist, Albums, Playlists, etc.

- Song information displayed when in Nav screen.

- Display Texts from Phone on screen or give a notification :)

i voted!

a couple things i didn't see on there:

ability to control XM presets with steering wheel controls

ability to control answer/hang up calls with steering wheel button

remove the SUV from the backup camera screen! the parking sensors already beep, i don't see a reason for this thing

a couple key things i wanna reiterate about the vote:

faster start up

move warning on backup camera to top

use factory mic for bluetooth, (if possible even with non bluetooth equipped vehicles)

live traffic display

My top priorities:

1) use OEM bluetooth mic and steering wheel controls for hands free phone. I installed the Advent microphone just below the rearview mirror and the performance is terrible. Basically it is not usable.

2) ability to scan through XM presets using the steering wheel controls

3) ability to display a video source from the auxiliary (media link) input on rear seat monitor

4) better EMI performance (my unit has EMI issues when my iPhone is lying in the center console). Sometimes it will switch inputs due to EMI from the phone or there will be a buzzing/ticking noise similiar to when you place a mobile phone next to a clock radio

5) faster boot up time

6) Nav: remove the requirement to acknowledge the warning that is displayed during the NAV startup. I have no issue with displaying the warnig for few seconds, but it gets very annoying when I have to manually acknowledge by touching the screen every time I use the NAV. Automate this warning so that it is displayed for 5-6 seconds and then it disappers with no user interaction required.

I know that some of these have been mentioned before but these are things that would be nice to see changed/updated:

1. answer calls with steering wheel controls

2. bluetooth audio control track skip from steering wheel controls with album art

3. the time in the nav is really small. It would be nice to have it somewhere on the top. It's too close to the leftside.

4. when in the Nav it would be nice to see the name of the song that it's being changed to. It could display at the top where the current track/total track is. I don't really care what number it is of the total.

5. the warning on the backup screen should be moved. It's the wrong place.

6. search for artist could be via keyboard or artist->album->song

7. able to stream Netflix with the usb cable hooked up to jlink connector.

8. able to activate the camera at any time.

9. if you could remove sources it would be nice. My truck didn't come with XM, if you could remove this or rearrange the icons it would be cool.

Garmin lets you show a map of the complete route once it's selected to ensure you're going to the right location and see highways selected by the system. The Advent doesn't do this and it's not very good at selecting the best highways. I'd like to see this feature added - it would up my comfort level with the system.

Garmin lets you show a map of the complete route once it's selected to ensure you're going to the right location and see highways selected by the system. The Advent doesn't do this and it's not very good at selecting the best highways. I'd like to see this feature added - it would up my comfort level with the system.

yeah i agree with this! i like how my wife's factory nav in her caddy shows you the whole route and gives you the option to select a different one.

Also, what about HD radio? Obviously not for the OGM1 but at least for the next model. And while they are at it, drop the current nav software for something better - iGO would be my choice.

Ditto on removing the dumb SUV from the backup screen. If you dont have the backup sensor it is just taking up space. Should be an option in the settings menu just like enable/disable of the backup camera is.

Ermie

My list:

- iPhone/iPod - menu - Access to Podcasts, or better yet, allow control via the iPhone.

- Show route info on the nav map

- Nav map, color changes, Yellow route line is difficult to read, thicker and darker color choice on menu, and for night, dark background for better contrast and visibility.

- +1 on time / distance calculation corrections

I would like to have a remote control, be able to choose from different start up screens directly from the navi, have some different background colors, be able to have a simple audio control (bass, treble), When i am going to a destination i am stuck in the double screen ( i dont like that)

Archived