What has GM done new to set its self in the right direction.

Morgan1986

It was not long ago GM should of been left to die . Even tho I love my 05 silverado. I am wondering where someone could show me what they have done different with numbers and stats and everything. Why did gm fail in the first place ? I heard it was paying to much money to employees and pension where to high . As I see it and I dont see alot lol . The 1500 silverados engines are not as good, interior is lacking and I am not sure about the trans are they still offering not a 6 spd auto as a standard I am not sure ? The only thing ive seen them done right this year is make a decent car the cruze and the volt was just a thing to laugh at yea its a nice idea but way to expensive to try to think you are being green and other companies are making the volt obsolete anyways . just wondering what your thoughts are .

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The GMT-900 has been and continues to be a great truck. Now lets keep in mind that for trucks, a major rework comes about every 6-7 years or so. The interior may be dated, but what do you expect from a model that is now 5 years old? She gets a new interior for the 2013/2014 re-design. The Engines? Best in the industry in my opinion. It was not until this past year (2011) That Ford finally came out with something that outdoes the GM in HP, and that was Ford's version of the 6.2L. Dodge? HA! They have nothing gas wise that outdoes GM in the truck engine field. The Duramax Diesel led in HP and Torque since it's introduction in 01 all the way until this past year when the new Ford redesigned diesel came out, but yet after proven tests the Duramax/Allison still outperforms the new Ford set up even though Ford has more HP and Torque. The fact our GM Trucks are in the top 5 vehicles sold in the USA year after year shows that America still loves the trucks.

2013/2014 is bringing a new redesign and new direct injection engines. In the mean time, they are still VERY much competitive with the other brands and continue to outsell Dodge, Toyota, and Nissan. As for Ford, some years GM sells more trucks than Ford, other years Ford sells more. Does not mean Ford is superior, but they are a good truck brand none the less.

The GMT-900 has been and continues to be a great truck. Now lets keep in mind that for trucks, a major rework comes about every 6-7 years or so. The interior may be dated, but what do you expect from a model that is now 5 years old? She gets a new interior for the 2013/2014 re-design. The Engines? Best in the industry in my opinion. It was not until this past year (2011) That Ford finally came out with something that outdoes the GM in HP, and that was Ford's version of the 6.2L. Dodge? HA! They have nothing gas wise that outdoes GM in the truck engine field. The Duramax Diesel led in HP and Torque since it's introduction in 01 all the way until this past year when the new Ford redesigned diesel came out, but yet after proven tests the Duramax/Allison still outperforms the new Ford set up even though Ford has more HP and Torque. The fact our GM Trucks are in the top 5 vehicles sold in the USA year after year shows that America still loves the trucks.

2013/2014 is bringing a new redesign and new direct injection engines. In the mean time, they are still VERY much competitive with the other brands and continue to outsell Dodge, Toyota, and Nissan. As for Ford, some years GM sells more trucks than Ford, other years Ford sells more. Does not mean Ford is superior, but they are a good truck brand none the less.

+1 on the engines, I've never had problems with any of the 5.3's that I have owned.

It was not long ago GM should of been left to die . Even tho I love my 05 silverado. I am wondering where someone could show me what they have done different with numbers and stats and everything. Why did gm fail in the first place ? I heard it was paying to much money to employees and pension where to high . As I see it and I dont see alot lol . The 1500 silverados engines are not as good, interior is lacking and I am not sure about the trans are they still offering not a 6 spd auto as a standard I am not sure ? The only thing ive seen them done right this year is make a decent car the cruze and the volt was just a thing to laugh at yea its a nice idea but way to expensive to try to think you are being green and other companies are making the volt obsolete anyways . just wondering what your thoughts are .

I can't gather all that info in a reasonable amount of time. Do yourself a favor and read Car Guys vs. Bean Counters by Bob Lutz. There is some bias as Lutz is a GM company man but it's a great read for anyone interested in the auto industry.

GMT-900 is on its last year or two here so if you want to see more changes, hold on to your pants lol. As for the GMT-900, you can't beat Gen 4 Vortec V8 motors. The 4L60 is a waste of time unless you really want a 4.3 or 4.8. The 6L80/90 transmissions are tanks like the Allison and are very good units. If anything, we see alot of 4L60's in for rebuilds and warranty replacement and near zero 6 speeds in for anything.

Oh poo on you, you big sissy. GM is doing a hell of a lot better now and continues to produce top selling vehicles. If the GMT-900 was so bad it wouldn't be the number 2 selling VE-HICLE in the united states right now. In fact the top two selling vehicles in the united states continue to be TRUCKS. Ford, and Chevy. What does that tell you? It tells you people are buying these vehicles. Go crawl back into your cave and quit being such a dang crybaby.

GM pumped out some turds and ran off its customers. Only a fan boy could love drum brakes, knocking steering shafts and knocking 5.3 engines considered "normal engine noise." Once money got tight, GM sold GMAC. They could not finance people with marginal credit as they did not own a finance division. Those buyers went to Ford and were welcomed by FMC with open arms. More customers lost as they could finance a Ford while GM sent them away walking. The government takeover of GM continues to run more customers off. Until GM owns themselves in whole again, many people will not touch a Government Motor vehicle. Remember the good old days when Chevy & GMC truck sales blew Ford's numbers out of the water? Now Ford is the full size truck king against GMC & Chevy combined.

The GMT-900 is on life support and can't die off fast enough. Old truck, lack luster styling, interior that never got modernized, missing features that buyers want. The K2 will make or break GM. The GMT-900 is the truck that put GM into bankruptcy. The K2 will determine survival. It will be the first GM truck designed by the new company. We will know in about a year from now if GM joins Saab, Hummer & Pontiac or takes back some of Ford's success as the K2 hits the market.

+1

It's only a matter of time before GM fails once again. Only next time I doubt the gov't will bail'em out.

Missing features???

(null)

1. No rear AC vents in ext/crew cabs

2. No footwell lighting

3. No underhood lighting.

just to name a few...

dont own a new one do they have glove box lighting ?

so much nit picking about items that are more luxary then functional, i buy a truck to be a truck not a vehicle i drive to the hamptons in for tea and crumpets, long as it durable,long lasting and reliable with the few essentials(a/c,heat,4x4 and good power comboed with decent mileage) i'm happy. i could care less if my truck talked to me or if my cup holders were cooled....in my opinion the biggest step GM made in the right direction was kicking parasite brands like hummer to the curb and focusing on polishing up their core brands..GM made some vehicles on par with a freshly layed terd in the past but so did every other automaker, its all trial by fire when it comes to auto sales

i didnt care about gm losing pontiac, i do not care for the gmt-900 styling. i love my 800. i love the looks in and out. i cant wait to see the k2. some people are picking arguments to pick argumennts

Archived