Sign in to follow this  
GTR312

Remote Start?

Question

Hey Techs,

I own a GMC Sierra 1500 2009, I don't have a remote start feature on my FOB. In my manual it states "If your vechile does not have the remote vechile start feature, it may have the remote start ready feature" If I do, is it possbile buying just the FOB with the start feature and getting a technician to program it for me? Or even doing it myself? I know there's a option on my dash when I skim through my odometer, tachometer, etc. theres something that I remember seeing called remote key. Maybe a way to program the remote starter? If not does anyone know how much a GM technition charge for a factory remote starter?

Thanks.

Edited by GTR312

24 answers to this question

That's awesome.

3GTEK13C69G158959

Side question, does my VIN tell me everything about my truck? If so where can I look that up?

your dealer can print you a build sheet

Check your RPO Code (in the glovebox). If you have AP8 you can add remote start. AP8 is the remote start prep pkg and you would have to have the dealer program.

• Like 1

Check your RPO Code (in the glovebox). If you have AP8 you can add remote start. AP8 is the remote start prep pkg and you would have to have the dealer program.

Just checked and I don't have it. What's the dealer program?

If you dont have the AP8 then you cannot add the factory remote start. If you had the AP* the dealer has to program it to activate it.

Just checked and I don't have it. What's the dealer program?

If you had the required items to install the GM remote start, they have to be programmed to the vehicle by the dealer, as in with GM Service Programming.

That's disappointing I live in Canada and it gets cold running to the truck :ughdance:

So my options are going aftermarket, or getting the AP8/3 Kit from GM?

You cannot add the AP8 Kit your only option is aftermarket

Aftermarket is not the only option. GM sells remote starts w/o the AP8 option. They're more expensive but they are available.

Edited by u118224

Nothing wrong with Aftermarket remote starts. Just stick with a good name brand and you shouldn't have any problems. I used Cobra remote start/alarm for years. Even transfered it from one truck to another. Worked like a charm and quite frankly had better range than the factory remote start (even the extended one) and the preset run time is longer than the factory's too.

What Stevens11 said. And just as important if not more so is the installer. I can't tell you how many times that I have run into electrical problems because of the installation of a remote start. And my question is do you want to take it back? Or do you want me to cut it out?

Good Luck

I was at the garage today getting my car rust proofed. The mechanic reccomended me going to see a techinician on getting a remote start installed. I called the guy up and he said he can install a good aftermarket remote start that he has been installing over 10 years, he also mentioned that its under life warrenty. Forgot to ask what brand. He said it will cost $375, supplied and installed by him. Does that seem fair?

Edited by GTR312

I paided $250 for the autopage thats good for a mile i just had put in the g/fs kia soul