Sign in to follow this  
GTR312

Remote Start?

Question

Hey Techs,

I own a GMC Sierra 1500 2009, I don't have a remote start feature on my FOB. In my manual it states "If your vechile does not have the remote vechile start feature, it may have the remote start ready feature" If I do, is it possbile buying just the FOB with the start feature and getting a technician to program it for me? Or even doing it myself? I know there's a option on my dash when I skim through my odometer, tachometer, etc. theres something that I remember seeing called remote key. Maybe a way to program the remote starter? If not does anyone know how much a GM technition charge for a factory remote starter?

Thanks.

Edited by GTR312

24 answers to this question

That's awesome.

3GTEK13C69G158959

Side question, does my VIN tell me everything about my truck? If so where can I look that up?

your dealer can print you a build sheet

Check your RPO Code (in the glovebox). If you have AP8 you can add remote start. AP8 is the remote start prep pkg and you would have to have the dealer program.

• Like 1

Check your RPO Code (in the glovebox). If you have AP8 you can add remote start. AP8 is the remote start prep pkg and you would have to have the dealer program.

Just checked and I don't have it. What's the dealer program?

If you dont have the AP8 then you cannot add the factory remote start. If you had the AP* the dealer has to program it to activate it.

Just checked and I don't have it. What's the dealer program?

If you had the required items to install the GM remote start, they have to be programmed to the vehicle by the dealer, as in with GM Service Programming.

That's disappointing I live in Canada and it gets cold running to the truck :ughdance:

So my options are going aftermarket, or getting the AP8/3 Kit from GM?

You cannot add the AP8 Kit your only option is aftermarket

Aftermarket is not the only option. GM sells remote starts w/o the AP8 option. They're more expensive but they are available.

Edited by u118224

Nothing wrong with Aftermarket remote starts. Just stick with a good name brand and you shouldn't have any problems. I used Cobra remote start/alarm for years. Even transfered it from one truck to another. Worked like a charm and quite frankly had better range than the factory remote start (even the extended one) and the preset run time is longer than the factory's too.

What Stevens11 said. And just as important if not more so is the installer. I can't tell you how many times that I have run into electrical problems because of the installation of a remote start. And my question is do you want to take it back? Or do you want me to cut it out?

Good Luck

I was at the garage today getting my car rust proofed. The mechanic reccomended me going to see a techinician on getting a remote start installed. I called the guy up and he said he can install a good aftermarket remote start that he has been installing over 10 years, he also mentioned that its under life warrenty. Forgot to ask what brand. He said it will cost $375, supplied and installed by him. Does that seem fair?

Edited by GTR312

I paided $250 for the autopage thats good for a mile i just had put in the g/fs kia soul

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Auto Circuit Solutions
      If any one has issues with there instrument cluster we are here to help. We have serviced thousands of instrument clusters for the following makes- GMC, Chevy, Buick, Pontiac and Hummer. Complete list below. 
      We fix all issues that these clusters have like erratic gauges, dim or dead display, battery drain, odometer error, backlighting replacement and LED upgrade, and complete power lose to cluster. 

We are a reputable company with a strong past based in Ozark Missouri. We offer lifetime warranty on all our services. Here is a link to our google https://goo.gl/maps/SEBKizfkvPx .

We also repair GM ABS modules, Climate control units, and we can upgrade backlighting to leds of your choice in steering wheel buttons, climate control, headlight switch, 4wd switch, window switches, etc. 

If you are interested in our services you can visit our website https://www.automotivecircuitsolutions.com/
      if you have any questions send them to [email protected]
      or call us 417-755-0179. 

Here is a detailed list of the year makes and models that we service.
      (we are not limited to these makes and models. If you have anything else contact us)

03-06 Chevy Silverado / GMC Sierra 07 Silverado / Sierra Classic 03-06 Avalanche  03-05 C4500 TopKick 03-06 Suburban Yukon Tahoe Envoy  00-05 Cavalier  00-05 Sunfire 03-06 Cadillac Escalade  02-05 Monte Carlo 03-06 SSR 02-05 Impala 03-06 Hummer H2 02-06 Trailblazer/ Blazer 03-05 Bonneville  04-06 Rainier 02-06 Rendezvous 02-06 Ascender 03-04 Bravada 03-04 Silhouette 03-05 Aztek 03-04 Montana 03-05 Lesabre 03-05 Venture 02-05 Sunfire 03-04 Malibu Following Vehicles - Display Repair Only 
      (No Gauge Repairs)
      97-04 Century (Information Displays Repair Only) 97-04 Regal (Information Displays Repair Only) 99-02 Silverado / Sierra (PRND321/Odometer Display Repair Only) 07-13 Silverado / Sierra (PRND321/Odometer Display Repair Only) 07-12 Suburban / Tahoe / Yukon (Display Repair Only) 02 Avalanche (Display Repair Only)  

Here is some images of how many stepper motors we replaced and some examples of how the leds look. 

• By PB17Sierra
      New to the forum as of a couple of weeks ago but just saw this page tonight. 

Vehicles: 
      1998 GMC SIERRA SLT 1500 5.7 
      +True Dual Flowmaster Delta Flow 50      Series Exhaust System 
      +Bakflip Fibermax Bed Cover
      +Billet Grille
      +Kenwood Excelon GPS Unit w/Apple Car Play
      +JL Audio 13.5” W5 sub with Hertz Component Speakers/JLA Amp

2017 GMC SIERRA SLT 5.3L 
      +True Dual Flowmaster Delta Flow 50      Series Exhaust System
      +AFE Momentum GT Pro 5R CAI
      +AFE Throttle Body Spacer
      +Diablo Intune i3 Tuner
      +Bakflip F1 Bed Cover w/Bakbox
      +Denali Grille Insert
      +Katskin Leather Seat CoverS
      +Weathertech Floor Mats
      +Window Tints

(installing AFE/Diablo mods this week with help from a buddy. Exhaust installed last week)

I am a high school teacher and head baseball coach. I also own a lawncare business. 

Thanks
         Patrick B

• By RussW
      My 2015 Silverado Z71 5.3 ltr seems to have a starter noise. When using the remote starter function, when the engine starts, for a very brief moment there is a noise which sounds like the starter did not disengage & continues to spin. I don’t notice it as much when using the key in the ignition to start. This is not a normal starting sound & I’ve never on heard it on 3 previous Chevy trucks with remote starters. Any ideas or thoughts?
    • By JHarrell
      Does anyone know if a bracket other than the windshield suction cup for a Garmin is out there. I have a Ford work truck and one fits in the console like it was made for it. My Sierra has nowhere in it to balance it. I hate putting it on the windshield.