Project Sierra vs Ford F-150 5.0L

Zane

Josh and I had a chance to go out and do some back to back to back comparison driving between Project Sierra and a 2011 Ford F-150, equipped with a 5.0L V8.

SierraFordversus.jpg

Both vehicles were 2011 models, extended cabs, and featured the "mid-level" V8 engine offered. All in all, a good matchup between the two.

We're working on writing up "comparison" article in the next few days. In the meantime, here's our general thoughts.

Styling: Sierra is clear winner

Chassis: Ford seems tighter but rides MUCH rougher. Tie

Powertrain: Ford wins here, no debate. the 5.0L is an amazing engine

Interior: GMC wins this round by far. GM's interior are more comfortable and softer.

So, what do you think? F-150 vs Silverado/Sierra is a tougher comparison than most imagine.

SierraFordversus.jpg

SierraFordversus.jpg

SierraFordversus.jpg

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So did y'all run some laps or something with these trucks to determine powertrain winner or just at what the specs are written on the sheets.

We just drove them on the street as anyone would normally. Back to back, it's pretty apparent that the 5.0L has more power. That's not to say the 5.3L is weak or under-powered. They are very close but the 5.0 is just slightly smoother and more powerful.

Mervz, do you think the 5.3 with a tune would be better that the 5.0?

It's possible. The 5.0L has a 44-horsepower advantage over the 5.3L. That could be do-able with some bolt on parts and tuning. The 5.0 is, however, very smooth.

Mervz, do you think the 5.3 with a tune would be better that the 5.0?

It's possible. The 5.0L has a 44-horsepower advantage over the 5.3L. That could be do-able with some bolt on parts and tuning. The 5.0 is, however, very smooth.

I heard it was a smooth runner. I know a guy who has a new 5.0 Stang with a tune, she's pretty BA! and I'm sure is tuned a lot different than a truck. I was checking one out a while ago the heads on the 5.0 look HUGE.

Mervz, how come you guys did'nt get a Sierra with a 6.2?

Two reasons: Cost and fuel economy. We wanted to get the most popular engine that would resonate with the most number of people here.

Two reasons: Cost and fuel economy. We wanted to get the most popular engine that would resonate with the most number of people here.

LOL, after I posted those were the two things that I thought of.

The new 5.0 is really well designed and a great performer. The f150 is still the same rough riding/heavy as lead truck. The interiors are nice but that's really about it. The resale value is no where near GM where I live.

The GMC is definitely a better looking truck. I can't get past how big the fords are. If I wanted a truck that big I'd get a F-250 or a 2500.

It makes me wonder, if they built 1/2 tons the size they use to, would they need to skimp on the sheet metel thickness to meet the MPG targets??

Just my 2 cents.

Mervz, How about ground clearance ? Every time I see a F-150 4X4 they look like they are sitting higher.

We noticed that as well, so we checked. The F-150 and Sierra sit nearly the same in the front. The F-150 is nearly 3-4 inches higher in the back. It seemed however, that the extra bed height didn't equate to more ground clearance. Both trucks looked like the differential sat around the same place. The only advantage the F-150 may have is the position of the shocks. Ford designed the shock mounts farther towards the wheels. That could potentially give an advantage depending on the situation. That said, either truck would not be my first choice for an off-road vehicle.

That could potentially give an advantage depending on the situation. That said, either truck would not be my first choice for an off-road vehicle.

x2. There's a reason everyone in these parts run Jeeps or older Yotas as trail toys. I wheeled my '03 1500 and it was just too damn big for the trails. It has the scars to prove it. :lol:

Archived