Project Sierra vs Ford F-150 5.0L

Zane

That could potentially give an advantage depending on the situation. That said, either truck would not be my first choice for an off-road vehicle.

x2. There's a reason everyone in these parts run Jeeps or older Yotas as trail toys. I wheeled my '03 1500 and it was just too damn big for the trails. It has the scars to prove it. :lol:

I am actually an offroader and have built many rockcrawlers. The only reason we run toyotas or jeeps is strickly size. Most all of us run 1 ton GM/Ford drivetrains in them though. Some yota guys stick with the yota stuff also

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That could potentially give an advantage depending on the situation. That said, either truck would not be my first choice for an off-road vehicle.

x2. There's a reason everyone in these parts run Jeeps or older Yotas as trail toys. I wheeled my '03 1500 and it was just too damn big for the trails. It has the scars to prove it. :lol:

I am actually an offroader and have built many rockcrawlers. The only reason we run toyotas or jeeps is strickly size. Most all of us run 1 ton GM/Ford drivetrains in them though. Some yota guys stick with the yota stuff also

That was my exact point, if you wheel a fullsize rig on most trails here in NH, eventually you'll find yourself with a midsize truck. :lol:

That was my exact point, if you wheel a fullsize rig on most trails here in NH, eventually you'll find yourself with a midsize truck. :lol:

My favorite off-roader for NH is definitely a Wrangler.

Wranglers do well for trails here and they're sized right but I could never own one- they're so ubiquitous plus then I'd have to eat crow after giving all my Jeep owning friends so much crap. :lol: I'd be all over an XJ to build up as I think it's a little more useful.

If money weren't an object I'd find a Land Rover Defender 90. I've always loved these things but it's turned into something worse as a few years ago a local club did a trail run and I rode along with a guy who had a D90. It had front center and rear lockers but he never used them until the very end. Everything was just solved with judicious application of throttle. :lol:

But with moving to Michigan in another month or so my new dream toy would be a trophy truck for the dunes out there, even though it'd be absurd overkill.

I see everyone is mentioning size,which got me to thinking, how do they compare in size,is one wider longer etc and which one has a tighter turning radius?I've been in my brother inlaws 2012 super cab with a 3.5l and to be honest it seemed too big and akward to park in a lot of places,the rear view camera is almost a must in this truck just to be able to manouver it in parking lots.

I see everyone is mentioning size,which got me to thinking, how do they compare in size,is one wider longer etc and which one has a tighter turning radius?I've been in my brother inlaws 2012 super cab with a 3.5l and to be honest it seemed too big and akward to park in a lot of places,the rear view camera is almost a must in this truck just to be able to manouver it in parking lots.

People got along just fine with out rear view cameras and worst turning radious in trucks before just got to step up your game and no your distance . semie truck drivers have to deal with alot worse .

People got along just fine with out rear view cameras and worst turning radious in trucks before just got to step up your game and no your distance . semie truck drivers have to deal with alot worse .

Go try one out you will see what I mean!!

Wranglers do well for trails here and they're sized right but I could never own one- they're so ubiquitous plus then I'd have to eat crow after giving all my Jeep owning friends so much crap. :lol: I'd be all over an XJ to build up as I think it's a little more useful.

If money weren't an object I'd find a Land Rover Defender 90. I've always loved these things but it's turned into something worse as a few years ago a local club did a trail run and I rode along with a guy who had a D90. It had front center and rear lockers but he never used them until the very end. Everything was just solved with judicious application of throttle. :lol:

But with moving to Michigan in another month or so my new dream toy would be a trophy truck for the dunes out there, even though it'd be absurd overkill.

Naah! Build a trail truck for Michigan, if you want it more. There are PLENTY MORE truck trails and mud holes to play in, in Michigan, than what the dunes have to offer. The dunes anymore, after years and years of going, bore me. I miss the days of trail riding and muddin' in my '86 K30. Sure it was to big to fit most places but it wasn't pretty at all and "judicious application of throttle" was my middle name back then LOL. Especially with nearly 500 lb/ft and 400 hp of SBC under the hood and the Detroit locker out back. The Dana 60 front and NP205 transfer case kept breakage to a minimum as well. Miss that 'ol truck.

Is there any way you guys could continue this comparison over time as milles stack up. I'm sure many would love to see the issues, fixes, economy, non-issues, that both of these trucks have over a period of years.

I know it is a long shot to have that F150 driver keep solid numbers and notes but it is just an idea.

I have to drive my dads old 91 f250 ford and his 2000 f 350 duelly both are stick shift and I drive those in vancouver all the time. My mom is a 60 year old women and she does jsut fine to . They actually opted not to get a back up camera on there 2011 dodge becuase they felt it was just not worth the money . So yes i have drove bigger trucks and it just takes practice to know your anlges and distances. Most parking lots and alot of roads are not designed for bigger trucks in the city .

I have to drive my dads old 91 f250 ford and his 2000 f 350 duelly both are stick shift and I drive those in vancouver all the time. My mom is a 60 year old women and she does jsut fine to . They actually opted not to get a back up camera on there 2011 dodge becuase they felt it was just not worth the money . So yes i have drove bigger trucks and it just takes practice to know your anlges and distances. Most parking lots and alot of roads are not designed for bigger trucks in the city .

OK, I get what you are saying,I drive bigger trucks for work all the time too,but I'm telling you the new fords just seem too big from inside anyway.Anyway we are totally off topic here I just wanted to know if there was any relevant size difference to the two trucks.I had a 2010 ext cab and my brother inlaw said it was much easier to see and manouver than his 2012 Ford.So all I really wanted to know is if there is any relative size difference>:

well just looking at the pics there about the same size the ford is alittle heavyier I think . Its alittle beefier truck prob why its rated to tow more . Ive been in a new ford not so new anymore btw and its not really any different than any of the current model 1500s for size .

Fords are considerably heavier. I think even the ex-cabs are over 6000 lbs.

Oh and for the record, I like my backup camera. My friends son calls it the "magic camera" because he'll jump/dance around in front of the camera (I have my foot on the brake obviously) but whenever he runs back up to the cab, he can't see himself. I could easily explain that it's a "live" camera as he's smart enough to understand but messing with him is much more fun. :lol:

Sierra Ext Cab (5.3l) F150 Ext Cab(5.0l)

Turning Circle 46.9 47

Wheel base 143.5 144.5

Length 230.2 231.9

width 80.0 84.3

height 73.7 76.1

min ground clearance 9.0 8.4

fuel tank capacity 21.6 36.0g

weight 5365lbs 6016lbs

Archived