Turning Circle 46.9 47

Wheel base 143.5 144.5

Length 230.2 231.9

width 80.0 84.3

height 73.7 76.1

min ground clearance 9.0 8.4

fuel tank capacity 21.6 36.0g

weight 5365lbs 6016lbs

That explains quite a bit right there. Still, the 5.0 somehow manages better fuel economy....

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont think the AFM really adds any fuel economy. More hype. Even cruising it doesn't stay on for long. But, even with less power and less fuel economy, I'll still take my Sierra. It is better looking inside and out hands down.

I dont think the AFM really adds any fuel economy. More hype. Even cruising it doesn't stay on for long. But, even with less power and less fuel economy, I'll still take my Sierra. It is better looking inside and out hands down.

^^^Agreed 100%^^^

I dont think the AFM really adds any fuel economy. More hype.

That's probably true with the 6-spds, with the high overdrive, but I notice the difference with mine. It stays in 4-mode a *lot* when cruising moderate terrain and interstate.

AFM is an odd beast. Most of the time it's useless. 10% of the time, it's genius and works great. I wish there was an on/off switch and that when it was on acted more aggressively.

AFM is an odd beast. Most of the time it's useless. 10% of the time, it's genius and works great. I wish there was an on/off switch and that when it was on acted more aggressively.

I keep the truck in "M" most of the time so I can sort of control when it is used. In town I keep the truck in M4 or M5 so AFM never kicks in. Only on the highway will I put it in M6 and even then it's rare for AFM to kick in. 101 is too hilly and/or my foot is too heavy. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I find my truck gets best 17 18 mpg on hwy. Ive been getting avg 15 mpg. I only once got 20 mpg hwy. Only company that knows hoe to use afm is Dodge. Almost wondering if I should take out my kn drop in filter for the paper one again, any thoughts?

I keep the truck in "M" most of the time so I can sort of control when it is used. In town I keep the truck in M4 or M5 so AFM never kicks in. Only on the highway will I put it in M6 and even then it's rare for AFM to kick in. 101 is too hilly and/or my foot is too heavy. :lol:

never had a truck with afm only my parents dodge and I have not driven the truck that much maybe 40 mins tops . To me afm should kick in when your cruiesing . does not take much egine to keep you going . So in theory it should work great i guess. I know my dad says it works great on his dodge but I would not know since I dont drive it and I am never really home anymore with going away to alberta and all.

It's basic physics-type stuff, I think. I'm not a scientist. However, it should require a certain amount of energy to keep a vehicle moving at a particular speed or to accelerate. That means you have to burn so much gas to produce that energy, regardless of whether or not that energy is being expended with 4 or 8 cylinders. On the other hand, if you are idling (coasting) I would imagine that it would be slightly beneficial to only have 4 cylinders keeping the engine running as opposed to 8.

They did, my 2010 LC9 has vvt. Here's a link to the 2011 LC9 from gm: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=lc9+5.3+vvt&source=web&cd=5&ved=0CEIQFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gmpowertrain.com%2FPowertrainFiles%2FEngine%2FPlots%2F2011_Vortec_53L_LC9_Sierra.pdf&ei=VDIyT9uyBcfZ0QGdnfHLBw&usg=AFQjCNGxzsfP4ugGsyU1D0VyzgAxCcIgBw

They should have just put the VVT in the 5.3 and called it a day. My 6.2 gets decent mileage alone with VVT without AFM.

Archived