77 replies to this topic

#61 morgan1986

morgan1986

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,204 posts
  • Name:Morgan
  • Drives:2005 silverado

Posted 01 April 2012 - 11:35 AM

OHV overhead valves...means the valves are in the cylinder head (unlike the flat-heads with the valves on the side of the cylinder)

OHC over head camshaft...the camshaft is sitting in the cylinder head and not on the side of the engine. There are no push rods needed (but most likely rockers).

SOHC single overhead camshaft...one camshaft in the cylinder head per cylinder bank (for both, intake and exhaust valves)

DOHC double overhead camshaft...two camshafts per cylinder bank (one for intake, one for exhaust)

so long
j-ten-ner

thanks
Posted Image
4.3l, regcab, short box, 5spd, cruise, duel climate and G80

#62 Jennabear

Jennabear

Senior Enthusiast

• Supporting Vendor
  • 3,056 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:13 PM

What gears and transmission on the Sierra?
Posted Image
Some show and quite a bit of go...contact us for Performance Tuning and Parts!

#63 doug_scott

doug_scott

Senior Enthusiast

• 2,170 posts
  • Drives:2010 GMC SL

Posted 21 April 2012 - 06:15 PM

It's basic physics-type stuff, I think. I'm not a scientist. However, it should require a certain amount of energy to keep a vehicle moving at a particular speed or to accelerate. That means you have to burn so much gas to produce that energy, regardless of whether or not that energy is being expended with 4 or 8 cylinders. On the other hand, if you are idling (coasting) I would imagine that it would be slightly beneficial to only have 4 cylinders keeping the engine running as opposed to 8.

That's exactly how it works, and why things like AFM, 6-spds, and the Ecoboost have the chance for small improvements. They are able to tailor fuel delivery on the fringe when cruising. Imagine 8 cylinders running at the lowest flow rate possible for efficient burning, but that's still more power than needed. Shutting off half the cylinders and tweaking fuel delivery to the other 4 can be more efficient under light load conditions. The Ecoboost is trying for the same, only it's running as a standard V6 during low load conditions. Having more gears helps in the same way, but also on the fringe (small improvements).

Personally, I don't see the benefit of AFM with the 6-spds and high gears, but it does help in mine. I get about the same economy overall in this truck as I did in my '99 2wd 5.3/3.42 combo. If mine were a 6-spd/3.42, I wouldn't want AFM... since there's not enough excess power in 6th to really make use of it imho.

I have heard that it takes about 50hp to maintain hwy speed in a full size car. The economy comes in getting that 50hp with the least amount of fuel. If engines were 100% efficient (all the heat generated by engine is used to propel the vehicle) then you would be getting the most power out of the fuel possible, and therefore the best economy. But, too much heat is wasted for that to happen.

#64 MikeNH

MikeNH

Senior Enthusiast

• 6,568 posts
  • Name:Mike
  • Drives:2011 Silverado 1500

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:12 PM

What gears and transmission on the Sierra?

I thought I read in one of the threads it has 3.42s and the 6L80.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#65 morgan1986

morgan1986

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,204 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:47 PM

It's basic physics-type stuff, I think. I'm not a scientist. However, it should require a certain amount of energy to keep a vehicle moving at a particular speed or to accelerate. That means you have to burn so much gas to produce that energy, regardless of whether or not that energy is being expended with 4 or 8 cylinders. On the other hand, if you are idling (coasting) I would imagine that it would be slightly beneficial to only have 4 cylinders keeping the engine running as opposed to 8.

That's exactly how it works, and why things like AFM, 6-spds, and the Ecoboost have the chance for small improvements. They are able to tailor fuel delivery on the fringe when cruising. Imagine 8 cylinders running at the lowest flow rate possible for efficient burning, but that's still more power than needed. Shutting off half the cylinders and tweaking fuel delivery to the other 4 can be more efficient under light load conditions. The Ecoboost is trying for the same, only it's running as a standard V6 during low load conditions. Having more gears helps in the same way, but also on the fringe (small improvements).

Personally, I don't see the benefit of AFM with the 6-spds and high gears, but it does help in mine. I get about the same economy overall in this truck as I did in my '99 2wd 5.3/3.42 combo. If mine were a 6-spd/3.42, I wouldn't want AFM... since there's not enough excess power in 6th to really make use of it imho.

I have heard that it takes about 50hp to maintain hwy speed in a full size car. The economy comes in getting that 50hp with the least amount of fuel. If engines were 100% efficient (all the heat generated by engine is used to propel the vehicle) then you would be getting the most power out of the fuel possible, and therefore the best economy. But, too much heat is wasted for that to happen.

interesting thought to use the heat the engine is giving off and turn it into power. Maybe a steam power extra 50 horse power. recirculating water thing .
Posted Image

#66 MikeNH

MikeNH

Senior Enthusiast

• 6,568 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 01:21 PM

Engineers already came up with a system to utilize wasted energy on engines. It's called turbocharging.

#67 doug_scott

doug_scott

Senior Enthusiast

• 2,170 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 02:43 PM

Engineers already came up with a system to utilize wasted energy on engines. It's called turbocharging.

That is a small percentage of the wasted energy, and is not even used to maintain hwy speed limits.

#68 MikeNH

MikeNH

Senior Enthusiast

• 6,568 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 03:39 PM

It can be. The small turbos GM is using on the engines powering the Sonic and Cruze aren't at all peaky like a traditional turbo motor.

#69 doug_scott

doug_scott

Senior Enthusiast

• 2,170 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:51 AM

I don't think the cruze or sonic will be using the turbo to maintain hwy speeds. In order for the turbo to have enough flow to drive them, the throttle would have to be opened more that it is while cruising. They use the small sized turbo so it will spool up quicker, reducing the turbo lag.

#70 09BlackBetty

09BlackBetty

Enthusiast

• 41 posts
  • Drives:2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1LT

Posted 22 September 2012 - 10:33 PM

guess what powertrain. GMC wins because when that OHC 5.0 breaks down its an arm and a leg. for never could get it right the first time. but yet they ORIGINAL 5.0 was and still is the best 5.0 but ford killed that. and talk about JUNK. sorry i understand 44hp more but when it comes down to it the fact that its a new motor lets see. so far all fords OHC motors suck ask my friends who im having to tow every other month. good review otherwise. two thumbs up.

#71 morgan1986

morgan1986

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,204 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:48 PM

would like to see you towing your friend with pics since its every other month .
Posted Image

#72 BlackZ71Silverado

BlackZ71Silverado

Senior Enthusiast

• 2,402 posts
  • Name:Justin

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:45 PM

guess what powertrain. GMC wins because when that OHC 5.0 breaks down its an arm and a leg. for never could get it right the first time. but yet they ORIGINAL 5.0 was and still is the best 5.0 but ford killed that. and talk about JUNK. sorry i understand 44hp more but when it comes down to it the fact that its a new motor lets see. so far all fords OHC motors suck ask my friends who im having to tow every other month. good review otherwise. two thumbs up.

Sorry but that sounds like a fanboy statement.
There is nothing wrong with the Fors 5.0L OHC engines. A friend of mine pounds the crap out of his 2012 Boss Mustang all the time and the engine has held up great, not one issue. It's nothing but power and torque. What exactly is this problem your friend is having that you need to tow his truck all the time? The Ford 5.0L numbers are impressive for the size of the engine and you have to admit that Ford really stepped up their game when it comes to producing power from their engines, fanboy or not.
2010 Silverado 1500 5.3L Black w/ Z71 appearance pkg.
CAI Tube - AEM DryFlow filter
DiabloSport "inTune" programmer
2" Rough Country level / 3" Rough Country rear blocks
MBRP T-409 SS 3" Performance Exhaust, single/side exit

'08 Silverado 6.0L V-Max
GMPP CAI - AEM DryFlow filter
GMPP Performance exhaust
DiabloSport Predator
2" Rough Country level / 3" Rough Country rear blocks
Cooper Discoverer AT3's

#73 morgan1986

morgan1986

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,204 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 02:19 AM

Sorry but that sounds like a fanboy statement.
There is nothing wrong with the Fors 5.0L OHC engines. A friend of mine pounds the crap out of his 2012 Boss Mustang all the time and the engine has held up great, not one issue. It's nothing but power and torque. What exactly is this problem your friend is having that you need to tow his truck all the time? The Ford 5.0L numbers are impressive for the size of the engine and you have to admit that Ford really stepped up their game when it comes to producing power from their engines, fanboy or not.

I was thinking the same thing btw .
Posted Image

#74 MikeNH

MikeNH

Senior Enthusiast

• 6,568 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 07:28 AM

He isn't towing his friends truck, I call BS. It's brand new so the guy would call roadside assistance to get it towed. A 5.0 will walk all over a 5.3 but I'd still take the GM. Proven reliable unlike Ford with a new power plant and a history of timing chain issues and spark plug problems.

#75 NitroCherokee

NitroCherokee

Enthusiast

• 604 posts
  • Drives:08 F250 Super Crew 4x4 Powerstroke & 06 GMC Yukon XL 4x4

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:56 AM

Sounds to me like it was written by a young punk, probably couldn't tell by looking at them which engine was which
Drive Fast, Take Chances, Swerve Alot

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users