Project Sierra vs Ford F-150 5.0L

Zane

I raced a 5.0 coyote mustang gt this weekend in my 6.2 truck. Let me tell you that I kept up with it till 90 and then he began to pull alway. Ford's new 5.0 dohc is no joke. I give respect where it's due. Ford stepped up and produced.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For some reason, nobody turbo charges thier 8's from the factory. I guess it's TOO much hp or maybe reliability. In any case, GM is playing catchup this time around. I remember in 1987 lol, the fox body 5.0 came out and it was really reaking havoc on iroc camaros and pontiacs. Then in 1993, GM got tired of Ford beating them up and release the LT1. That ended mustang domination for about 10+ years.

• 1 year later...

My Sierra All-Terrain SLE 5.3 is in the body shop (rear-ended by a Hummer H2) and I'm driving a 2014 F-150 5.0 4X4 rental. The Ford engine does feel smoother and more powerful, with better off the line acceleration. The Sierra is much quieter and has a more comfortable cab. Very evenly matched actually.

The 5.0 feels a lot more responsive, but I think most of it is just the way Ford and GM map their throttle. The Ford throttle is much more sensitive and the engine itself feels like it has a much lighter flywheel, making for quicker revs. This makes sense as it is a car engine.

The GM 5.3 needs more pedal to get the truck moving, which makes it feel more sluggish, but actually gives greater control on launches. If you nail the throttle in both trucks, the both seem about equally quick, just very different in feel. GM feels like heavier flywheels, or maybe its just the pushrod design.

The end result is that the Ford is more lively and fun to drive, but the GM is more refined and luxurious.

• 1 year later...

Archived