How much can I tow?

denali321

I have a 2009 GMC Sierra 1500 and, hopefully, will be able to tow a 2009 AIrstream 23'FB.

The trailer specs are GVWR - 6,000 lbs.; hitch weight - 500 lbs.

Am I going to have problems?

It will be important to get your actual TW after the trailer is loaded for camping. I think that you may be quoting the dry TW. Your TW will be approx 12% of your trailer's loaded weight........ If the loaded wt is 6K#, your TW will be ~ 720# (or you may have swaying problems).

You have a couple of chalenges here. You need to be sure that you aren't exceeding your max TW rating.

Next challenge will be your payload rating. You will have to add your TW to your payload. Then add the weight of your passengers and cargo (including any accessories like a camper shell, bedslide, tonneau cover etc).

I have 500# of tongue wt but I also have a camper shell and bedslide. With my wife and I and our camping gear (firewood, chairs, ice chest etc) we are right at (sometimes exceeding) our payload, rr axle and tire rating limit.

You didn't mention if you have the factory tow package or a trans cooler installed......

A WDH with sway control device is a very good suggestion. I would highly recommend that you take your rig to the scales (on the way to a camp-out.... fully loded) and get some actual weights.

Towing is only 10% about pulling (you can pull that trailer with a golf cart) and 90% about controlling and panic stopping. You can go up a hill 100 times slowely but it only takes 1 tim of not being able to control your rig in a panic stop to ruin your whole day (or life)....

Obviously you are asking this question because you have concerns.... as you should.... towing is not a simple answer issue and entails the safety of your family and others on the road.

<a href=http://changingears.com/rv-sec-calc-trailer-weight-tt.shtml>Here</a> is a website that may help. Read all the info carefully so that you understand the terms used and what they mean before you plug numbers in. Most of the numbers that you will need regarding your truck are in your truck's ownwers manual. The trailer numbers are a little trickier if you don't have actual weights.

http://changingears....weight-tt.shtml

Your tongue wt will be over 700#. 467 is your dry wt with no accessoies propane etc. (read the fine print on the rt side of the Airstream web pg.). The dry weight on my trailer tongue was 275.... Loaded wt..485 (just for an example).

Be very Wary of simple answers to complex questions that very little information...... ;)

------------------------

So far, all we know is that the OP has a '09 Sierra 1500.... here are the std specs:

------------------------

Curb weight 4,923 lbs.

GVWR 6,800 lbs.

Front GAWR 3,600 lbs.

Rear GAWR 3,750 lbs.

Payload 1,477 lbs.

Front axle capacity 3,600 lbs.

Rear axle capacity 3,750 lbs.

Front spring rating 3,600 lbs.

Rear spring rating 3,750 lbs.

Towing capacity 4,700 lbs.

GCWR 10,000 lbs

-----------------------------------

Just taking the GCWR (10K#) and subtracting the GVWR of 6800# the std 1500 can only tow a 3400# trailer with a fully loaded TV.

The std vehicle only has 1477# payload (which is true for most 1500s). Subtract 700# TW anf that leaves 777# for accessories, passengers and cargo (including those 2 beautiful dogs (~120#). You be surprised how fast you can use up that other 600#..... probably 300#+ for driver & 1 passenger.

If you have a class3 trailer hitch, you'll need to upgrade to a class4 or 5. That tow capacity could be a problem too (depending on your particular capacity).

There really isn't a simple answer.

It requires a lot more info.

So far, all we know is that the OP has a '09 Sierra 1500.... here are the std specs:

I guess you're right on that one. I read the OP's username and year model and thought "Denali Crew w/ 6.2L".

I guess you're right on that one. I read the OP's username and year model and thought "Denali Crew w/ 6.2L".

Hopefully.... she has a 1500HD with a tow pkg, a class5 hitch and at least a 5.3L.

She very well could be OK..... but she could also very well be way over capacity and get in some serious trouble and be looking for someone to point the finger at (hopefully, that's not the case).

Thanks so much to everyone for all the info. My username is because I'm from Alaska and always loved Mt. Denali. I guess that would be confusing to some. Anyway, I will do some more research on my truck. I don't drive it ... just bought it for towing the trailer which I won't be doing until next year.

I'm purchasing a Tekonsha P-3 brake controller. I do know that the Airstream dealership sold me a Husky weight distribution hitch and they said it would work for me. My trailer is in WA state so she won't meet her tow vehicle until next year at which time I'll be living in the GNW.

I found it a little shocking that a newer 23ft airstream as a base weight range of 4,701-4,746 pounds, when the '79 29ft airstream I have has a base weight of 4,690 pounds. I would have thought in 30 years they would have actually gotten lighter.

My '04, with the 5.3 and 3.73 gears tows my airstream easily. My truck does have the factory tow package.

Hi wages999:

Love the older 'streams. I've wanted one since I was a child and finally bought one last year. Can't wait to enjoy the great outdoors!

Kim

I kind of stumbled into mine. There was an auction around the corner from my house and they had it there, but didn't advertise it very well. It had been sitting for a number of years, so they put new tires on it so it could be moved. I only paid $1,200 for it. The refrigerator, air conditioning, and pumps all worked. I only had to put a new power inverter in it. Everything is original, including the 70's green short shag carpet.

I kind of stumbled into mine. There was an auction around the corner from my house and they had it there, but didn't advertise it very well. It had been sitting for a number of years, so they put new tires on it so it could be moved. I only paid $1,200 for it. The refrigerator, air conditioning, and pumps all worked. I only had to put a new power inverter in it. Everything is original, including the 70's green short shag carpet.

Need pics! Always liked the Airstreams... they're classic "americana".

Archived