How to know if your Block heater is working ?

Truck does not seem to start any better plug in or not . I have syn oil in and it started at -28C went back home pluged her in and it was a little colder -35C and it turned over but it sounded like it was barerly going to turn over. I know my battery will be cold and could be the problem for sure but how do you know if your block heater is working. I have a 2005 4.3l silverado reg cab. I find it amazing how my car will start in - 28C just fine not being pluged it . Most likely its that good syn oil I have in there . On my gauge for my egine temp will that get warmer or rise if i am pluged in ? I bought a battery blanket for my GF car becuase her vehical was not starting even tho its pluged in but have to get a spilter to plug it in still to see if it work . I will prob bring her battery inside the house to warm up first and then put back in car with the blacket rapped around it .

I would just measure the current it is drawing with my clamp on ammeter or plug it into a wattmeter depending on how many watts it is supposed to be. If it is drawing close to the correct current, it is working.

you can hear it start to sizzle. follow the cord down to the side of the truck that where the element will be sitting plug it in and listen to see if it will sizzle.

The radiator hose will not feel warm as the block heater is usually at the bottom of the block.

1) I can hear my block heater when it is on.

2) 400 watts

3) Your coolant temp gauge will still be pegged COLD even with the block heater on. 400 watts is not that much heat when it's -35C out.

DEWFPO

Use this simple method...go to where the extension cord plugs into the wall and quickly unplug it several times. If you see a spark on the prongs, it is drawing current.

bbwb

Use this simple method...go to where the extension cord plugs into the wall and quickly unplug it several times. If you see a spark on the prongs, it is drawing current.

bbwb

That's a good way to test the breaker too :lol:

Didn't read the part about being -35c, the hose won't be warm then. lol

also fyi, if ya do the math I can leave the truck plugged in 10 hours a night for 50 cents. How much gas do ya burn when you start a froze up truck to thaw it out at 3.50 a gallon? Couldn't tell ya, I would imagine its about the same, but its definately better on engine not starting it cold. Plus I would much rather pay the local electric coop than the oil companys. To each their own.

Archived