Sign in to follow this  
97whitez71

Flashing Check Engine Light

My '97 currently has 230,000 on it. My check engine light has been on for a couple months. It was time for my 100,000 maintenance. Had the light checked and it is oxygen sensor bank 1/sensor 1. Went ahead and did all the plugs, wires, pcv, etc. Check engine light still coming on with same code. Every now and then I notice the truck running really rough so I know I need to replace the sensor. But I noticed the other day and once or twice a month ago, the light would flash while driving. My question is what does the light flashing mean? Thanks for the help.

Clean O2 and see what happens. One sensor can affect signal from others to computer

• Like 1

A flashing MIL indicates a misfire that could result in damage to the catalytic converters.

Yea more then likely a misfire.

Y'all reckon a bad O2 sensor can cause the misfire? I'm guessing it's better to just replace it instead of trying to clean it?

I would say the misfire is effecting the O2 sensor. Rather than the O2 sensor causing the misfire. There are different code for the O2 sensor what code did you get.

The code I have is P0134. The truck really runs good, it's just every now and then when idling, it is very rough. I'll give it a little gas and it smooths out. This may only happen once every couple of weeks. The only time I've seen the check engine light flash is when on the highway climbing a hill under increased acceleration. Like I said earlier, I replaced plugs, wires, rotor, cap, PCV and fuel filter as regular maintenance. Thanks.

P0134 Generic Definition

HO2S 11 circuit condition (Heated Oxygen Sensor Bank 1 Sensor 1)

– The powertrain control module uses the oxygen sensor to calculate the air/fuel ratio in the exhaust.

Probable Cause

1. Oxygen sensor defective

2. Fuel system running very rich or lean-check other codes first

3. Engine misfire condition-repair

4. Fuel pressure very high or low-fuel pump or pressure regulator

P0134 Generic Definition

HO2S 11 circuit condition (Heated Oxygen Sensor Bank 1 Sensor 1)

– The powertrain control module uses the oxygen sensor to calculate the air/fuel ratio in the exhaust.

Probable Cause

1. Oxygen sensor defective

2. Fuel system running very rich or lean-check other codes first

3. Engine misfire condition-repair

4. Fuel pressure very high or low-fuel pump or pressure regulator

Well, I found the O2 sensor online for $25. They have about 100,000 on them, so probably need to change anyway. Looks like my next easiest step is to have the fuel pressure checked.