1996 GMC Suburban 2500 Violent Wheel Shake Please Help.

dhollock

Question

Hi,

I have a 1996 GMC Suburban 2500 4wd with disc front brakes and drums on the back.

I have replaced the caliper, hoses, rotors, pads in the front. Replaced the shoes, drums, and cylinders in the back.

Balanced all tires and had a front end alignment.

I still have intermittent violent shaking. Smooth as glass sometimes and then it wants to shake your teeth out.

All parts taken off and rechecked. Rotors cut and drums turned just to be sure...

Pulled the abs fuse to see if that was the problem no difference.

I was wondering if the hydroboost could do this? A friend suggested bad control arm bushings or a steering position sensor?

Please any thoughts you have would be greatly appreciated.

Does anyone have any additional information or suggestions on this problem??

I have a 96 Yukon with 190K miles, which recently began doing the EXACT same thing. The front-LEFT brake heats up to the point that the truck shudders violently and almost uncontrolably....requiring 2nd and 1st gear downshifts to ensure any kind of certain stop. When it's cold, or when babying the stops, the brakes are practically perfect....maybe a slight lead to the left.

I had previously replaced all the brake lines with stainless lines from InlineTube.com, including all lines and components out to the calipers and cylinders. Other than InlineTube preformed line set, all other parts are genuine GM.

I replaced calipers with hard-to-find genuine OEM brand-new calipers....original factory calipers.

Multiple sets of rotors....both OEM and after-market slotted/drilled.

Multiple sets of pads....both OEM and after-market.

Replaced master cylinder with brand-new GM part.

Found I had radiator leak on left side....thought this was an ah-hah moment....coolant spraying over the left wheel well and caliper. Replaced radiator with brand new GM radiator. New pads. SAME behavior.

I have noticed that the upper control arm bushings on the left side are severly worn and/or missing. Is it actually possible this could cause such a problem?? I figured the slight lead-to-left might be caused by this.....but not violate erratic brake behavior.

This is so frustrating. This is a flawless truck...best GM truck I ever had....relagated to weekend runs to Home Depot and crap like that, and I feel like I'm taking my life in my hands!!

Thanks for any suggestions!!

Archived