Transmission Cooler Lines Weeping

Just noticed today that I'm going to have to replace transmission cooler lines (OEM ones). They're staring to leak/weep from the joints where the rubber hose joins the metal lines. They're letting enough tranny fluid out to see it on the adjacent metal lines. Anybody else notice this? I had to add about 8 ounces of fluid the other day. That's a real slow leak, but still, pisses me off. While I was in there I noticed by brake lines starting to rot away. Ah, the joys of an 8 year old truck with 155k miles.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just had my engine oil cooler lines replaced right before Xmas on my 2010. Mine only had 20k on it. All is well again

Ryan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had my tranny lines repaired in the engine bay last Summer. Had the brakelines done a couple of years ago. I haven't had a GM vehicle yet that the damn brakelines didn't rot out on! They talk about all this safety crap. They need a better material for brakelines. Then you wouldn't need 14 airbags in your vehicle for a crash! :bs:

Just had my engine oil cooler lines replaced right before Xmas on my 2010. Mine only had 20k on it. All is well again

Ryan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not a truck, but I just had to have mine replaced on my wilfe's 2010 Impala that only has 25k miles on it. It was fixed under warranty, but the GM shop told me if it wasn't under warranty it wouldn't have been worth the hassle of replacing.....just let it go. I couldn't believe they'd say that. A leak involving transmission fluid and they just wanted to let it go???

yes, mine weep a bit, i cleaned them with WD40, i didn't notice any weeping lately - anyhow i keep some rubber transmission hose and jubilee clips just in-case

One of mine is leaking too, I asked the dealer and he said they all will do it and they do it worse when it's colder out, when it gets warmer out they'll slow down. I just took a beefy hose clamp and put it on the metal part that goes over the rubber hose, it slowed it down alot but it does still weep.

I wonder if you could adapt some braided ss hose to the steel lines? I have an 01 Z28 (Sara) that has an aftermarket transmission cooler, and I purchased some AN6 hose and had it clamped on the metal extrusions of the cooler, it was 9 1/2 years ago with no leaks or weeping.

I do know you need to purchase the hose that is compatible with "oil" so the inners do not rot out.

Yes you could and I was going to fo it but... You need to be careful because these are high pressure hoses. The issue is around the crimps itself and not the hose.

I wonder if you could adapt some braided ss hose to the steel lines? I have an 01 Z28 (Sara) that has an aftermarket transmission cooler, and I purchased some AN6 hose and had it clamped on the metal extrusions of the cooler, it was 9 1/2 years ago with no leaks or weeping.

I do know you need to purchase the hose that is compatible with "oil" so the inners do not rot out.

Mine only has 1400 miles and not leaking yet but every GM vehicle I have had in the last 20 years has those leaking rubber hoses. Seems strange that in 1969 they could run steel lines from the transmission to the radiator but not today. Didn't have all those slimy rubber hoses back then.

Replaced mine on my 06 impala last spring. Only 80000 km on it. I think we can all conclude that gm trans lines are no good and just deal with it.

Replaced mine on my 06 impala last spring. Only 80000 km on it. I think we can all conclude that gm trans lines are no good and just deal with it.

Archived