Replacing Bose Amp in 05 Tahoe???

has anyone replaced an amp in an 03-06 GM Truck/SUV. its my understanding through research the bose amp is the same in all these vehicles.

my question is, has anyone replaced this amp on their own? after replacing it, does the vehicle need to be reprogramed from the dealer?

we are installing a new head unit in my brother's 2005 tahoe Z71, the bose amp is supposedly fried. the truck will start and immediately die, nothing inside the cab works except the dash lights... but with this amp disconnected and the fuse removed, the truck operates normal except no power/sound from the radio. we also think part of the problem may be the anti-theft system, because his remote is broken. i told him to get a new remote before replacing the amp or rewiring the sound system to bypass it.

what are your thoughts?

has anyone replaced an amp in an 03-06 GM Truck/SUV. its my understanding through research the bose amp is the same in all these vehicles.

my question is, has anyone replaced this amp on their own? after replacing it, does the vehicle need to be reprogramed from the dealer?

we are installing a new head unit in my brother's 2005 tahoe Z71, the bose amp is supposedly fried. the truck will start and immediately die, nothing inside the cab works except the dash lights... but with this amp disconnected and the fuse removed, the truck operates normal except no power/sound from the radio. we also think part of the problem may be the anti-theft system, because his remote is broken. i told him to get a new remote before replacing the amp or rewiring the sound system to bypass it.

what are your thoughts?

The amp's under the console and you should be able to disconnect the harnesses by pulling the center console drink tray, right? Are you SURE that the only thing that has any bearing on beaing able to start the car is bypassing the amp?

Check the RPO codes - does this truck have UQ97 & Y91?

If so, check this diagram and unplug only the "B" connector from the amp (the one with Dk. Green in pin 1 and Dk. Blue in pin 10), leaving the other connector(s) plugged in and see if that solves the problem. If so, then either cut or remove the Dk. Blue wire from the connector at at pin 10. This is the Class 2 Serial Data line and honestly, the only thing that I can imagine that would have any effect on the entire truck.

If this solves it, replace the amp (fairly easy - you just have to remove the center console and it's bolted down under the center console glove box).

If the truck DOES NOT have UQ97 & Y91, then it's back to the drawing board...

05_Tahoe_UQ97_Y91_Amp.gif

thanks Walt, we will try this out this evening.

we left the truck with our mechanic and he said after he disconnected the amp and the fuse to the amp, the truck would start. he said he then tried to reconnect it but it was dead again. so basically if this works, your saying something inside the amp is messed up that is shorting out the Serial Data Line?

here's a link to the thread i made over the weekend when we couldn't get it running:

http://www.gm-trucks...howtopic=141833

we were installing a new radio. after installing it, we tested it and everything worked fine. we used a GM Integration Adapter, which was used with the same radio in his previous truck, an 04 silverado with Bose. i told my brother to disconnect the battery again, only he removed the positive wire first instead of the negative and then was being a dumbass with the wires causing sparks (he's 16) we then proceeded to run a power wire for his subs, but it was getting dark and we stopped working once we got the wires to the back where the subs will be. after reconnecting the battery is when the problems started to occur.

Walt, more info for ya:

the fuse they removed to get it running was the one that controls the ABS, airbags, and stabilitrack dash lights :confused: he mentioned with that fuse in, all those dash lights light up, but those systems do function properly.

i wonder if the bose amp has anything to do with all that, if connecting it, will affect anything with that fuse removed. or if thats the same fuse that controls the amp too. he did say it was a 30A fuse. the mechanic is hard to understand and i haven't physically seen what he did to it.

Archived