97 k1500 steering parts

Im looking at working on the front end of this truck I bought. Has 147k now and all parts are original except Pitman arm, it was replaced sometime after 75k by previous owner. Should I just spend the bucks and get all new parts? Pitman, idler and bracket, bj's, all tie rods and adjusters and shocks. I'm looking at about 600 bucks here just in parts all by Moog and from Rick auto. I would like to get it all 100% right do I don't have to do it again and I can get new tires without worrying if they are going to wear improperly. I do know I atleast need inner tie rid ends.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm personally debating the same thing since my front seems to be getting sloppy. I've only got 91k but if you've got 147k I'd say if you can afford it, do it all. Afterwards you'll want an alignment regardless of what parts you replace so your tires shouldn't wear improperly either way.

I'm personally debating the same thing since my front seems to be getting sloppy. I've only got 91k but if you've got 147k I'd say if you can afford it, do it all. Afterwards you'll want an alignment regardless of what parts you replace so your tires shouldn't wear improperly either way.

I have tried to find movement of the other parts but they all seem good. Only thing I can find that has play is the inner tie rod ends. I can do the work myself so I may just replace what it actually needs for now. I can always grab the parts as they go bad and put them on myself.

Sounds like you have a plan. I've got play in a few places so I'm pretty much stuck replacing the whole 9 yards (I'm hard on vehicles so that doesn't help). Don't have any experience with Orelly's but from what I've read here RockAuto.com seems to be pretty good too (prices and part quality). I've looked up most of my needed parts and all of them were cheaper than any place in town.

Make sure when checking for excessive ball joint play that the lower control arm is supporting the weight of the vehicle, not just hanging free. Then, make sure there isn't excessive up and down play (most common) in the lower ball joints. Check the upper ball joints the same way. In over 15 years of doing front end repairs, in truck country, I can only remember having to replace maybe 6 sets of ball joints in 88-98 K trucks. Most were due to the fact that the boot was torn and water was getting into the joint.

Pitman and idler are the most prominent steering wear items on this vehicle. I use Moog and Moog only, myself. Other companies replacment pieces will just wear out in a short period of time, imo, PLUS, the Moog stuff carries a lifetime replacement warranty.

Sounds like you have a plan. I've got play in a few places so I'm pretty much stuck replacing the whole 9 yards (I'm hard on vehicles so that doesn't help). Don't have any experience with Orelly's but from what I've read here RockAuto.com seems to be pretty good too (prices and part quality). I've looked up most of my needed parts and all of them were cheaper than any place in town.

I work with a guy that used to be an Oreillys manager. He says the house brand is actually made by Moog but the actual Moog brand is made a little heavier. I guess the main thing is that they are greasable. I am going to give the Master Pro brand a try.

• 3 weeks later...

I did some work on the truck last night. I installed all new tie rods with adjusters and a pitman arm. Man does that baby have some tight steering! Unbeleivable! I also have some problems now. After installing everything my steering wheels is a half turn off. I beleive an alignment will take care of this so no biggie. Another thing though, If i turn the wheel while the truck is sitting still and on the ground it gets very hard to turn when turning left. It actually stops turning unless you let the truck roll then it seems ok. The gear box lost alot of fluid when I had all of this apart. I have refilled the resvoir with new power steering fluid and turned the wheels back and forth to ensure fluid is in the lines and box now but it still feels the same way. Also the old fluid looked like trans fluid, would this be caused by the regular power steering fluid I put in or is something messed up or damaged maybe? Also noticed that while the steering shaft was undone the steering wheel never got locked because the key being turned and the wheel spun a circle or two. Now I have the sound of loose wires inside my steering wheel when I turn the wheel. Need some help guys! :(

I flushed the old fluid out and got all new in. Mostly anyway. It doesnt seem to catch like it did anymore. I think the wheel turns about a half turn more one way than it does the other. Could the pitman arm be out of line? Will it hurt to leave it like this?

Fixed the noise that I thought was wires in the wheel. There was some sort of spring part behind the air bag out of place. I put it back and seems ok now.

Still waiting on tires to come.

Archived