97 k1500 steering parts

Called Discount Tire Direct and they said they would be glad to refund my money and pay for return shipping if I would order a new set of tires up front. Should I just deal with what I have? It seems like the tires are only prone to it when it gets a little cool.

Me personally I have NO problems with flat spotting, as long as it's for a short distance. Now if the tires were truly out of balance and couldn't be balanced properly, or didn't "unflatten" with driving, then I would have a problem. The only thing I don't like about my Mastercraft's is that they won't last nearly as long as the factory Bridgestone's. Factory tires lasted just short of 65k miles, current tires are only at ~28k miles and look like they've only got another year or so left. All though they've seen a lot more abuse than the factory tires EVER did. If you like them, keep them. If not, don't settle, send them back.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have them all 4 rebalanced again and they still seem like they are flat spotting. Sometimes it does it and other times it does not. I think I just need to try a different tire. Could rotors possibly make it feel this way or would it only have a feeling when you hit the brake pedal?

• 2 weeks later...

Ok guys. Let me update what has been done. I hope someone has an idea to fix this cause I am about to pull my hair out. Here is what I have done...

All new tie rods and adjusters

pitman

idler

all new shocks

got another new set of tires and sent others back....this did smooth out the bounce that I have been complaining about.

new steering box

rag joint

upper and lower ball joints

new rotors

alignment

new EVO sensor

Truck steers and drive alot better than it used to but driving down the highway when the steering wheel is center it is still loose. You are constantly holding it at about 11 o clock or 1 oclock to keep the truck going straight. Once you make a turn it feels tight and firm and returns to center as it should. Is it possible the new gearbox could need the nut adjusted some? I do not know what else to do. :(

Ok guys. Let me update what has been done. I hope someone has an idea to fix this cause I am about to pull my hair out. Here is what I have done...

All new tie rods and adjusters

pitman

idler

all new shocks

got another new set of tires and sent others back....this did smooth out the bounce that I have been complaining about.

new steering box

rag joint

upper and lower ball joints

new rotors

alignment

new EVO sensor

Truck steers and drive alot better than it used to but driving down the highway when the steering wheel is center it is still loose. You are constantly holding it at about 11 o clock or 1 oclock to keep the truck going straight. Once you make a turn it feels tight and firm and returns to center as it should. Is it possible the new gearbox could need the nut adjusted some? I do not know what else to do. :(

,get another alignment ,,,errr,,,, take it back to the alignment shop for a recheck,,,,,free recheck

This truck is never going to drive as tight as say anything '07 and newer, it just isn't.

And cranking on just the overcenter adjustment is NOT a fix. The spool valve/main shaft bearing preload has to be set properly first.

If the new (actually I'm pretty sure that its just a remanufactured steering gear) has that much slop in it, take it back. Have a tech that knows how to properly adjust them check your factory gear and put that back on, unless it had something else wrong with it of course.

Could some of the steering issues be just with holding it against the crown in the road?

Well...driving on the right lane you may hold the wheel about 11 o clock then get on the other lane and you hold the wheel about 1 o clock. Talked to several guys they all say these trucks are like that. I'm not used to driving an older truck either so maybe I am just trying too hard.

How about the steerin shaft itself? Even though I put the new rag joint on, this is a collapsible shaft and if it had a smidge of play inside it then it could feel like alot more on the steering wheel?

I found some play in the intermediate shaft where one slides into the other. A new shaft assembly is 183.00. Another guy suggested just welding these shafts to eliminate the play. Only downfall I see to this is if there was ever a serious front end collision. Anyone have any suggestions on this?

Could some of the steering issues be just with holding it against the crown in the road?

Well...driving on the right lane you may hold the wheel about 11 o clock then get on the other lane and you hold the wheel about 1 o clock. Talked to several guys they all say these trucks are like that. I'm not used to driving an older truck either so maybe I am just trying too hard.

My truck is like that. The roads around here, through design or wear, always seem to make me think I have a "pull" to my truck. By the way I finally got my pitman and idler arm replaced on my truck this weekend. Man oh man what a difference, they were worn completely out. Good feeling to tighten up the steering again. Everything else seems to be holding up, so far.

My truck is like that. The roads around here, through design or wear, always seem to make me think I have a "pull" to my truck. By the way I finally got my pitman and idler arm replaced on my truck this weekend. Man oh man what a difference, they were worn completely out. Good feeling to tighten up the steering again. Everything else seems to be holding up, so far.

Glad you have gotten it lined out. Mine is improved from what is was greatly but I am still tinkering to get it just right.

Archived