Real world towing with a 1/2 ton

rusty01

I'm going to be towing a 25 ft airstream trailer which has a dry weight of 6500 lbs and prob with gear and fam we will be at or close to 7500. The trailer has a hemsley weight distribution hitch. I'm towing with my '05 Yukon Denali xl. I've got 14" drilled and slotted rotors on front and rear with hawk pads. And of course I've got a proportional e brake controller. Ive got oem chrime 20" gm rims and cooper zeon LTZs. I'm towing it about 500 miles round trip.

What do you all think?

I tow a 28 foot 5,500 pound travel trailer with my 2011-5.3 Crew Cab. I couldn't afford a bigger truck so this is what I bought. It will tow fine, especially on the highway. On the hills the transmission will downshift and will get warmer. I was towing a week ago coming from Southern California to Utah in 105 degree heat. The transmission ran a constant 185 (rule of thumb is 100 over ambient temperature) with it going to 235 on the hills, which were three mountain passes at 6,000 feet elevation. I kept the speed right at 60, going down to 50ish on the passes.

I averaged about 12 mpg.

I believe the new transmission fluid GM is using can really take the heat.

Hope this helps.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived