A few questions about the LQ4 6.0L

I have a few questions about putting a 6.0L in a 2002 Chevy Silverado 1500, which currently has a 5.3L in it...

- What transmission do I need? (4L65E, 4L70E, 4L75E, or 4L80E)

- Will I have to redo my exhaust? (Currently have a flowmaster with magnaflow high flow cats)

- Any different accessories that I would need on the serpentine drive?

- Bigger radiator?

- Will my BullyDog tuner work with it?

- And last, but certainly the most important, will it give me better off the line performance? <----- hahaha :)

(I figure it would since it has more torque and more hp, but I want advice from someone who knows what they are talking about)

PS: I basically want to make my normal 1500 have the performance of a Silverado SS, or get as close as possible. So if there is something I did not list that I need to know or add, please feel free to tell me

- What transmission do I need? (4L65E, 4L70E, 4L75E, or 4L80E)

- Will I have to redo my exhaust? (Currently have a flowmaster with magnaflow high flow cats)

- Any different accessories that I would need on the serpentine drive?

- Bigger radiator?

- Will my BullyDog tuner work with it?

- And last, but certainly the most important, will it give me better off the line performance? <----- hahaha :)

(I figure it would since it has more torque and more hp, but I want advice from someone who knows what they are talking about)

PS: I basically want to make my normal 1500 have the performance of a Silverado SS, or get as close as possible. So if there is something I did not list that I need to know or add, please feel free to tell me

1. You currently would have the 4L60e transmission and it will bolt up to the LQ4 motor but it won't last long. The Vmax trucks have the 4L70e which is an upgraded HD version of the 4L60e. It has a lower first gear than the 4L80e has, so if you looking for speed, the 4L70e would be your best choice. They are harder to find though. If you went with the 4L80e, you'll have to relocate your cross member and change your drive shaft.

2. Should bolt right up

3. No

4. Yes, I'd suggest a bigger radiator or maybe trying a dual electric fan setup first.

5. I'd think your bullydog wouldn't be the optimum choice. A custom tune would be a better choice. Talk with Blackbear performance about that.

6. If your looking for better performance, I'd consider Long tube headers, cam swap and higher stall converter.

Take lots of photos :thumbs:

How much would a custom tune cost? Ive heard many people talk about how good they are, but I like the fact that I can undo my tune with the BullyDog tuner.

I was thinking about doing a dual electric fan setup, like the one my dad has on his 09 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Also, if I did a 4L70E, is it the same length as a 4l60e, that way I do not have to buy a new driveshaft?

Thanks for the help...

How much would a custom tune cost? Ive heard many people talk about how good they are, but I like the fact that I can undo my tune with the BullyDog tuner.

I was thinking about doing a dual electric fan setup, like the one my dad has on his 09 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Also, if I did a 4L70E, is it the same length as a 4l60e, that way I do not have to buy a new driveshaft?

Thanks for the help...

An in person tune (at a tune meet) cost $250. I think a mail order is $200. You'd need to check with him. If you want an extra PCM, I think it costs an extra $100. Besides, if you do the motor swap, there is no "stock" to go back to :dunno:

The 4L60e is the same length as the 4L70e, so no new driveshaft. :thumbs:

Good grief Stevens11... is there anything you don't know about. :P You're just a fountain of knowledge. I'm so glad I joined for all the knowledge I'm receiving. :thumbs:

Thank you.... I've been around a while. Jack of all trades, expert at none :lol:

The only thing I'd add is that the 4L60/65/70 are basically the same transmission, except a few internal parts are upgraded for the extra hp/torque of the 6.0. You can buy (or build) a 4Lxx that has much higher torque input ratings than stock. If you go that route, it really shouldn't matter whether it was a 60 or 70 from the factory, since it's going to have a lot of parts replaced internally during the "upgrade". If you can find a wrecked 6.0/4L65 combo, then that's probably the cheapest path. I'm not sure if an '02 can "talk" to the 4L70 TCM, since it's a later model. I'm guessing it can??

what kind of cam should I get for the LQ4, such as the brand of cam, and what give the best bang for my buck?

Also, should I get an adjustable thermostat control relay kit, or one that kicks on/ off at certain temps?

Thanks to all yall who have helped...

I have a 4l60E got a hp tuners tune done just bumped up tranny pressure should b alright for street. Thats what eats up trannys not enough pressure too much hp. Mine shifts hard in second when I floor it, otherwise it shifts normal during reg driving. :driving:

I've done this swap several time including 3 that were set up for high performance/ drag racing. It's quite easy and no more than a weekend project for a couple guys under a carport.

You MUST get a motor with Aluminum heads, some early LQ4s had iron heads, you want to stay FAR away from these, they will be priced much lower but they are not what you need.

*your current 4L60e transmission will work just fine, it may need a rebuild in a short period of time, but it can easily be built to handle a 6.0L. We had one truck with cam/ heads/ Long Tubes/ 3400 stall converter, etc etc etdc and a built 4L60e (FLT Level 5) held up just fine, a stock 6.0L motor is fine behind a decently built 4L60e.

*your current exhaust will bolt right up.

*your current accessories will bolt right up.

*your stock radiator will work just fine - note that the standard clutch fan will pull way more air than electric fans.

*you will want a custom tune. A handheld tuner will not recognize the different motor and can not *properly compensate, true custom tuning can easily handle this.

*you will notice a definite difference in off the line performance.

Archived