Rear end clunking noise?

I've noticed it since I got the truck, and figured it was because my 2006 is simply more rigid than the 1990. Whenever I hit a bump right, the back end of the truck seems to make a hollow clunking noise. When I rotated tires, I took a look, and nothing seemed to be loose on springs, shocks, or cab. Anybody else have this noise?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've noticed it since I got the truck, and figured it was because my 2006 is simply more rigid than the 1990. Whenever I hit a bump right, the back end of the truck seems to make a hollow clunking noise. When I rotated tires, I took a look, and nothing seemed to be loose on springs, shocks, or cab. Anybody else have this noise?

Look in your glove box and see if the code G80 is in there. If so its your rear end locking to put more power and traction down. Its normal

Leaf springs will rattle when unloaded. To test, put several 100 lbs in rear to preload springs and I'll bet you won't hear any more noise. Its the bottom leaf hitting the top ones. How you drive influences this also.

• 2 years later...

Did you ever get this fixed? Mine is doing the exact same thing. A hollow clunk when hitting an incline at offset angle or the right bump at slow speeds.

I had that problem on my 2013 sierra it ended up being axle wrap, it is when the rear axle is alound to turn against leaf springs. The metal used in the leaf springs has changed somewhat allowing the bottom leaf spring to flex hiting the other 2 leafs causing an annoying thunk or clunk. I fixed mine by tightening the axle u bolts to leaf, they were under torqued from factory and applying heavy axle grease between and ahead of the axle leaf layers.

Problem sounded 10x better, another fix is putting additional ubolt in front of axle around 2.5-3" and squeezing leafs together problem gone also....this helps leafs preload somewhat stoping clunk from axle wrap starting and stopping, or backing up over uneven elevated ground.

Hope this helps you.

• 5 years later...