Night shift added at Flint Plant. Good news for GM?

I just saw a special last night on the east coast on Channel 4 with Brian Williams. They discussed the addition of a third shift at the Flint, Michigan GM truck plant. It looks like production is increasing and the 2500 HD being a good seller is boosting sales. They did mention however that GM has paid back about $21 billion of the $45 Billion received from the government. I hope GM sales increase and new dealers come back to my area.

Here is the link to the story:

http://rockcenter.msnbc.msn.com/

Great to read sales expanding and employment created.

Having worked (not in automotive trades) on all three shifts, I am a tad leary about getting a new vehicle manufactured on the graveyard shift.

I wouldn't be leary about a grave shift-built vehicle at all; some of the best work done by some of the best people took place on grave shift when I worked in public rail transit (BART). Shift differential and a lack of overbearing managers skulking about were but two of the many advantages of working that shift.

• 2 weeks later...

Having worked (not in automotive trades) on all three shifts, I am a tad leary about getting a new vehicle manufactured on the graveyard shift.

I wouldn't be leary about a grave shift-built vehicle at all; some of the best work done by some of the best people took place on grave shift when I worked in public rail transit (BART). Shift differential and a lack of overbearing managers skulking about were but two of the many advantages of working that shift.

I work in a medical production facility and the 12 hour night shift, along with the 8 hour night shift, consistently produce much more product with fewer quality issues and returns. I honestly would rather receive something built on a night shift.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't exactly recall the number of hours to build a truck, but I'm positive it took more than 8 hours from dropping a floor pan into the sytem in the body shop & the finished truck drove off the "flat top". They might start the assembly on 1 shift & it'll be finished on another.

Archived