Turning off passenger airbag?

Can this be done on a 2010 Sierra? I have a reg cab and every now and then I'll need to transport my niece around so I obviously don't want the airbag on. I know you could do this in the past and I know in these trucks they are weight sensitive but how much weight does it take or can I just completely shut it off???

I'm may be wrong but I do believe it's weight activated. Not sure what that weight is. I think the mirror has a light when the passenger airbag is on due to the weight of a passenger in the seat (or I'm thinking of my tahoe). I'd have to check and it's too late to go out and mess with it.

My beagle tips the scales at #35+or- and the airbag light flutters on and off with him in the front seat. So I would guess the factory wieght is set around 35 pounds. No way to trun it off on the new trucks.

Maybe find a dive belt for your neice to wear or maybe some sand bags :D

My beagle tips the scales at #35+or- and the airbag light flutters on and off with him in the front seat. So I would guess the factory wieght is set around 35 pounds. No way to trun it off on the new trucks.

Maybe find a dive belt for your neice to wear or maybe some sand bags :D

I want it off... Not on. That's a dumb design. Especially In a truck where there isn't any other option for seating.

IIRC the new air bag systems use passenger weight to adjust the amount of force used in the airbags. Under a certain weight, they are off, and the get more powerful, the heavier the passenger is.

Archived