e85 mpg drop

I just filled up this weekend w/ E85 @ $2.87/g vs. $3.63/g for 89 (cheapest here in Iowa). So far doesn't seem to be doing too bad, but I'll see this week when I'm making all my short trips for work.

--JOsh

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I must be paying an import tax here in Michigan for some of that Iowa born/raised corn fuel or something then. Wouldn't suprise me that even though there's plenty of Michigan corn that we'd import it from another state. LOL!

I just switched to e85 also. I usually run 89 octane and that is $4.09 and the e85 was $3.09 so I saved about $20 and my milage is not too bad. It is less than 1 mpg that I am lossing right now.

I filled up last night on E-85 also but at a ripoff of $3.35 a gallon. The 6.2 otherwise mandates premium grade fuel which was up to $4.19 a gallon locally so I'm saving my necessary $.70 a gallon, currently.

I can say that current I too am only showing about 1 mpg loss of fuel economy with the E-85 when I easily measured 3-4 mpg difference running it last summer. Must still be on winter blended regular (petro) fuels here, is my only explination.

Damn the best I could get out of E85 was like 12-13 MPG and I'm currently at 17.5 average on normal gas as of my last tank.

I know, usually, I am 14ish city/16ish highway on premium and no better than 12 on E-85 but I was only getting 13 average before this tank and after a 60ish run last night, no change. Usually, when I put E-85 in place of premium the mileage drops off immediately.

• 2 weeks later...

I get 10.5-12 on E85 (65-70% city stop and go driving).

I'm glad I'm not the only one that gets that kind of mileage. Of course if I had the 6.2 I might not even make that good...I hate most of the "drivers" in my area.

• 4 weeks later...

E85 got as high as $3.55 here, regular was like $4-4.05/gal. Yesterday regular dropped to 3.83 and E85 is now $3.35, still too much to justify running it from a cost/efficiency standpoint.

• 4 weeks later...

E85 got as high as $3.55 here, regular was like $4-4.05/gal. Yesterday regular dropped to 3.83 and E85 is now $3.35, still too much to justify running it from a cost/efficiency standpoint.

E85 is still $3.35/gal here despite 87 being all over the damn map the past few weeks. Went from like $3.99 to $3.80 overnight then back up to $3.95 the next day then a slightly more gradual drop to where it is now- $3.68 I think. It'd be nice to see E85 drop below $3/gal now as then it would be almost cost effective.

Update on on my E85 experience. After running a couple tanks of E85 I notice that my average was around 12mpg and the best I could get was 15-16 mpg. With the price difference now being not that much I switched back to regular gas and ran a few tanks to bring it down to the E10 level of most gas here. Now my average is 16-17mpg and I took a trip to Chicago and got 20 mpg. I think I am going to stick with the regular gas for now unless E85 has a huge price difference.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived