e85 mpg drop

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

$2.58 today

paid $3.43 for premium in the camaro

Damn! that's about 90 cents off what regular is in MI. I wish I could get E85 that cheaply cause if the cost advantage actually happened I'd be less pissed about the lousy range on the highway.

Meijer is the same price everywhere it seems. Maybe one supplier?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've averaged right at 12 mpg since going over to E85. As far as how much power I've lost...I don't notice it because I switched at the time I got BB Tuned.Also, I'm thinking the price differences in E85 have a lot to do with the minimum amount of ethanol in each particular E85 station. IE- I noticed a Citgo where the price was .10 less than premium that its content was minimum 85%. Today when I filled up at $2.58 at speedway (where it's cheapest) the minimum ethanol content was at like 60%. I think Meijer is like 75%. As far as power making goes....would I may more power with my tune via Premium gas or E85?? It was my understanding that even though E85 did not burn as efficient as gasoline it actually MADE more power than gas. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here.

E85 does indeed make more power. It is 105 octane and that allows more aggressive timing. E85 is less powerful "per unit" which is why you get worse fuel economy.

Speedway is min 51% and meijer 70%

Gas America never had theirs posted

I get about 11.5 mpg in my 6.2 in my daily driving

Ryan

E85 does indeed make more power. It is 105 octane and that allows more aggressive timing. E85 is less powerful "per unit" which is why you get worse fuel economy.

I thought I was right on that. Too many here spouting off incorrect info.

The way my thinking is (in theory) - Higher min ethanol content= More Power/More per gallon

Lower min ethanol content= less power/Less per gallon. I actually think I noticed a difference going from Speedways E85 vs. Meijers with Meijer giving me a little bit more umph when going WOT. I also could be batshit crazy. :ughdance:

Just read this on Wikipedia:

E85 has an octane rating higher than that of regular gasoline's typical rating of 87, or premium gasoline's 91-93. This allows it to be used in higher-compression engines, which tend to produce more power per unit of displacement than their gasoline counterparts. The Renewable Fuels Foundation states in its Changes in Gasoline IV manual, "There is no requirement to post octane on an E85 dispenser. If a retailer chooses to post octane, they should be aware that the often cited 105 octane is incorrect. This number was derived by using ethanol’s blending octane value in gasoline. This is not the proper way to calculate the octane of E85. Ethanol’s true octane value should be used to calculate E85’s octane value. This results in an octane range of 94-96 (R+M)/2. These calculations have been confirmed by actual-octane engine tests." Changes in Gasoline IV, sponsored by Renewable Fuels Foundation

Take it FWIW.

• 11 months later...

I never considered filling up on E-85 until recently when I noticed it was running a whole $1.00 cheaper here in central IL. $2.84 vs. $3.84 today. Corn prices have come down from the insane highs after the drought last summer (last fall I saw E-85 more expensive than regular!), and if this summer brings good rain to the corn belt, I'm hoping that difference can hit $1.20. I average 16.5 mpg so if a drop to 12.5 mpg ends up being the case, looks like 90 cents ends up being the price difference I need to come out ahead. Guess I'll be taking the dive into E-85 on my next fill up just to test the waters.

• 1 year later...

Wait till the E85 specific motors start arriving on the scene, hopefully in the next few years.

Cummins has developed a 2.8L inline 4 motor that primarily uses E85 and puts out the same HP and Torque as a 5.7 Hemi, and reaches peak torque at 2100 RPM. The Cummins 2.8 E85 motor is slated to go into some commercial vans in the near future. Ricardo, a GM partner, took a 3.2L V6, beefed up the internals big time, boosted the snot out of it, fed it E85, and it produces the same HP and torque and economy of the 6.6L Duramax diesel! It has been in testing in 3500HD pickups. They have run the numbers and this 3.2L EBDI motor would cost half the production cost of the Dmax and the vehicle would be 400 lb lighter. All it would need is the same emissions junk that any typical gasser has. None of that diesel emission nightmare. And imagine an engine that gets the same power and economy of the diesel, yet the fuel, at the current price, would be almost $1.30 cheaper a gallon. E85 near me is $1.59 a gallon and diesel is $2.85 a gallon.

Wait till the E85 specific motors start arriving on the scene, hopefully in the next few years.

Cummins has developed a 2.8L inline 4 motor that primarily uses E85 and puts out the same HP and Torque as a 5.7 Hemi, and reaches peak torque at 2100 RPM. The Cummins 2.8 E85 motor is slated to go into some commercial vans in the near future. Ricardo, a GM partner, took a 3.2L V6, beefed up the internals big time, boosted the snot out of it, fed it E85, and it produces the same HP and torque and economy of the 6.6L Duramax diesel! It has been in testing in 3500HD pickups. They have run the numbers and this 3.2L EBDI motor would cost half the production cost of the Dmax and the vehicle would be 400 lb lighter. All it would need is the same emissions junk that any typical gasser has. None of that diesel emission nightmare. And imagine an engine that gets the same power and economy of the diesel, yet the fuel, at the current price, would be almost $1.30 cheaper a gallon. E85 near me is $1.59 a gallon and diesel is $2.85 a gallon.

Nice! I wonder what E85 would cost WITHOUT the .gov subsidy? Would this engine still be worth it to produce?

Archived