cold air intake is it worth the money?

rolling tall

What do you mean by the cold air upgrade? You just want the long metal tube where you have to remove the factory air box then inturn possibly letting in hot engine bay temps inturn performance suffering. Also, you plan on getting a tune afterwards to get the max benefits from the intake? If not all you'll be gettin is a small whistle sound in the winter time. Can't hear it in summer on mine.

What do you mean by the cold air upgrade? You just want the long metal tube where you have to remove the factory air box then inturn possibly letting in hot engine bay temps inturn performance suffering. Also, you plan on getting a tune afterwards to get the max benefits from the intake? If not all you'll be gettin is a small whistle sound in the winter time. Can't hear it in summer on mine.

Removal of factory chambered/silenced intake tube, that's the way I read it anyway.

OP, your performance will not suffer from getting rid of your factory box and replacing it wit ha full CAI. If you want the kit, buy it.

08 V-Max w/ GMPP CAI with metal tube. The air in the tube DOES NOT heat up, the metal actually reflects the engine heat. This is on my dad's truck and was tested. Don't remember the actual temps. but the air in the OEM air intake was warmer. I'll try to locate the sheets to post.....if he can find them.

CAI's are not worth it...all they are is for show and some sound. No performance gains

That is your opinion and you ane entitled to it, but here are the facts from testing : (fromCamaro5forum)

https://spreadsheets...d=1&output=html

I believe Black Bear Performance has also done similar CAI testing but can't find their information from the tests.

this topic comes up all the time. if i had a dollar for every time someone posted this i would have enough money to buy everyone that posted this a volant. But since you asked personally i would save your money and buy an air raid intake tube. i found mine on biz rate for like 106$. Then buy a performance drop in filter and keep the stock air box. You will only see gains in HP at WOT, and they sound cool when you get on it. CAI are best complemeted with a tune.

I have a spectre cai, I wrapped the tube with heat sleeves, wether or not they helped I couldn't tell you but 12Hp gain was the highest I got, it averaged at about 8-9 respectively. Now after that I did get a tune and couldn't tell you where the numbers went from their but im happy.

this topic comes up all the time. if i had a dollar for every time someone posted this i would have enough money to buy everyone that posted this a volant. But since you asked personally i would save your money and buy an air raid intake tube. i found mine on biz rate for like 106$. Then buy a performance drop in filter and keep the stock air box. You will only see gains in HP at WOT, and they sound cool when you get on it. CAI are best complemeted with a tune.

I would only buy the air aid intake tube also. After having a cold air intake on a 01 and then a 04 silverado, with no noticable differance. I would say, save your money.

Where is the "cold air" coming from, exactly, in these CAI kits?

From the pictures I've seen there's just an exposed filter sitting at roughly the same spot in a hot engine compartment.

Correct me if I'm wrong - I'm just learning - but this is how it works on a stock truck: Cold air normally enters the engine compartment through the engine's radiator, a/c radiator, transmission radiator, and/or intercooler(s) (all of which are hot), passes through the fan shrouds and over the engine (which is also hot). Now that the air has taken a lot of heat from various sources, it is no longer cold. Some of the now-hot air gets sucked into the stock air intake while the rest is forced out of the truck. How do the CAI kits change this?

To be a real CAI, I think you would need a scoop to draw air directly, i.e. from outside the engine compartment. At this point you may as well just put the opening in the path of airflow, i.e. hood scoop or bumper scoop, where it will also serve as passive forced induction. Maybe install a fiberglass hood (for a little weight reduction and integrated scoop w/ cutouts) and make ducts to direct air into the CAI. Obviously this approach works, manufacturers have been designing vehicles with "ram air" scoops for decades.

But how else would you get cold air into the CAI?

Archived