How-To: Install Under Seat Storage For Free GMT900.

gritz

So I really needed something to help keep everything organized under my back seat. It was starting to really get out of hand as you can see from the pics. However, I refuse to spend upwards of $100 or more for a cheap chunk of plastic to hold my junk. I made this using materials I had at the house already (pallet wood, speaker box carpet, screws, and staples), so I consider the cost to be $0. At the most, if you bought all the items brand new, the cost would still be well under $50. So here goes>

Before - Junk everywhere!

DSCF0582.jpg

Mocked up with cardboard

DSCF0588.jpg

Test fit before carpet

DSCF0591-1.jpg

Stapling the carpet on

DSCF0594-1.jpg

And it's in

DSCF0596.jpg

DSCF0597.jpg

DSCF0600-1.jpg

DSCF0601.jpg

I'm really pleased with how it all turned out. I was afraid it would slide around a lot, but the carpet on carpet doesn't let it slide at all. I hope this inspires someone to save their money on under seat storage options.

Thanks guys.

Travis, I know this might sound a little tacky, but a zippered plastic case (like what pillows and comforter sets come in) would probably work pretty good in a regular cab pickup. They are fairly durable, squish down to fit under the seat, and they usually have a handle on the front. I think glad or zip-lok actually makes a container like that too. Just a thought

Looks good! Was thinking about making something similar for the underside, of the passenger side rear seat in my truck as the driver's side and middle is taken up by my sub box. I don't need room for much as I have added some pretty slick storage pockets to the rear of the bed of my truck already for the heavy/dirty items that I don't want in the truck (receivers, tow straps, etc.) As soon as the weather clears I'll get caught up on my garage pictures so everyone can see the winter time upgrades to mine. :cheers:

ChevyTech77, I'd love to see your storage solutions in the bed of the truck. I have a couple ideas of stuff I want to do, but I don't have hookups for my welder at my house right now, so I'll have to wait.

Thanks again everybody. I'm looking at mounting the bottle jack under the hood, but I'll post up pictures when I get that all done.

ChevyTech77, I'd love to see your storage solutions in the bed of the truck. I have a couple ideas of stuff I want to do, but I don't have hookups for my welder at my house right now, so I'll have to wait.

Thanks again everybody. I'm looking at mounting the bottle jack under the hood, but I'll post up pictures when I get that all done.

Mine were actually purchased off the net but could be easily made if your handy with metal fab work. I personally stink at it and don't have direct access to the tools to perform such tasks so I was buyer, not a builder on this story.

They may look a little odd but if you just need small, simple, under the tonneau storage, these can't be beat imo. I got the retriever/load stop bar as well with mine. Super handy option and worth the extra $$ as well.

Here's a quick link. Again, as soon as the weather clears, I hope to get my garage pictures all taken and posted but hope this helps for now.

http://www.autoanything.com/hitch-bed-accessories/74A2903A0A0.aspx

Mine were actually purchased off the net but could be easily made if your handy with metal fab work. I personally stink at it and don't have direct access to the tools to perform such tasks so I was buyer, not a builder on this story.

They may look a little odd but if you just need small, simple, under the tonneau storage, these can't be beat imo. I got the retriever/load stop bar as well with mine. Super handy option and worth the extra $$ as well.

Here's a quick link. Again, as soon as the weather clears, I hope to get my garage pictures all taken and posted but hope this helps for now.

http://www.autoanyth...4A2903A0A0.aspx

I was thinking of something similar to that, but hanging up under the bed rail so I could keep my bed space. If I get real ambitious, I may even make a couple lock boxes under there. I'll need to have the use of my welder first. Until then, I'll just dream up stuff.

I was thinking of something similar to that, but hanging up under the bed rail so I could keep my bed space. If I get real ambitious, I may even make a couple lock boxes under there. I'll need to have the use of my welder first. Until then, I'll just dream up stuff.

See and to me, that's usually wasted space in my bed. Not to mention that my tonneau cover is rarely ever rolled up also.

I really wanted some of the nice, locking tool boxes that fit back there but they are $185 each so this $65 "fix" works just fine, imo.

:cheers:

If I had a cover on mine, I'd probably go with what you have. I haul a lot of stuff for people on the side and a lot of couches and stuff require that extra little bit behind the fender wells, but under the bed rail and the 6-10" below doesn't really get used much. If I do make something (might get creative with rivets and silicone - aircraft style), I'll post up another write-up on that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived