98 s-10 blazer tranny help

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 thebandnerd03

thebandnerd03

Enthusiast

• 97 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 05:09 PM

so i have a 98 s10 2dr blazer 4.3 4x4 with 175,000 on it. I recently had the rear end replaced along with the fuel pump. Driving home from work today i took a corner and when i stepped on the gas again i heard a clunk and felt a jump. I lost 3rd and overdrive but still have 1st and 2nd gear. I have never lost the whole top end of a tranny before. The fluid level is good so i know that its not from low fluid level. any one have any thoughts or should i dump even more money into this thing and start tranny shopping.

Thanks

#2 Nick R.

Nick R.

Enthusiast

• 17 posts
  • Name:Nick
  • Drives:2010 Toyota Tundra DC TRD Off Road 4x4 5.7L

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:27 PM

Shift solenoid? Just guessin....
Posted Image

2010 Toyota Tundra Double Cab TRD Off Road 4x4 5.7L
-Flomaster 50 Series and Custom Dual Exhaust by Service Connection, Monson MA https://www.facebook...on/315368643831
-6k Hid's Hi/Lo/Fog Lights
-Toyo Open Country A/T's
1998 GMC Sonoma SLE 4x4 Ext. Cab
1991 Chevrolet K1500 W/T 4x4 Reg. Cab 4.3L
1986 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer 4x4 5.8L H.O. (351 Windsor)

#3 Black02Silverado

Black02Silverado

Independent Amsoil Dealer

• 3,200 posts
  • Drives:2002 Silverado 91 Jetta TD

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:58 PM

Depends on your finances. It is paid for, the engine is a strong running 4.3 that is bullet proof, you already had the rear diff taken care of. I would say the cost of a new transmission is way better than a new vehicle payment. But like I said, not sure where you stand finance wise.
Black 02 Silverado Z71, 5.3L Amsoil Fluids Black Bear Tuned with AutoCal
Black 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Economizer 91 Jetta Turbo Diesel

AMSOIL Synthetic Lubricants & Filtration Systems, Click Here
Wholesale pricing available!

Posted Image

#4 thebandnerd03

thebandnerd03

Enthusiast

• 97 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:30 PM

ok so i drove it home today and discovered that i can manually shift through all the gears but if i try to start in D or 3 is like its in neutral. anyideas if its a speed sensor or shift solenoid? and where are these located?

#5 govtech4

govtech4

Senior Enthusiast

• 4,118 posts
  • Name:Rob

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:35 AM

get it scanned 1st,those trannies are common for the 3-4 clutch to go for a crap,

if no codes,the clutch may be pooched
How do you write a signature on a laptop screen ??

lmao.

I'm here all week ,try the Veal !!

Rob

#6 K5MudDog

K5MudDog

Enthusiast

• Banned
  • 342 posts
  • Name:joey
  • Drives:1995 chevrolet z71/1984 chevrolet k5 blazer

Posted 24 March 2012 - 06:15 AM

Shift solenoid? Just guessin....

you very well could have lost your shift solenoid.there are two in there just under the fluid pan very VERY easy at home fix.not sure about yours but some might have four solenoidsthe shift solenoid pump your fluid to make it shift.but a sudden jerk would indicate that your transmission is going.since its OBD II get it scanned.mine is doing the exact same thing.i have to put 'er in 1st then as i pick up speed i shift to a higher gear in my 1995 z71..someone told me it could also be an ignition switch gone bad..

Edited by K5MudDog, 24 March 2012 - 06:18 AM.

back woods gun toatin baccor juice spitting beer drinkin truck fixin deer shootin quail eatin mud pitt muddin truck drivin 6 ft 3 tall problem solvin redneck
Posted Image

#7 K5MudDog

K5MudDog

Enthusiast

• Banned
  • 342 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 06:20 AM

when you go out in the morning or when its cold try to start out in third.mine has 1st when its cold but after it warms up it loses it
back woods gun toatin baccor juice spitting beer drinkin truck fixin deer shootin quail eatin mud pitt muddin truck drivin 6 ft 3 tall problem solvin redneck
Posted Image

#8 thebandnerd03

thebandnerd03

Enthusiast

• 97 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 08:51 PM

i had it scanned. unfortunately the scan showed all of the solenoids checked out fine. my mechanic said im looking at a replacement or rebuild. i might drop the pan and check the solenoids anyway and see what the filter looks like.

#9 govtech4

govtech4

Senior Enthusiast

• 4,118 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:56 PM

you are wasting your time but do what ever you want ,,,,,no codes means the ELECTRICAL CONTROL SIDE IS OK ,mechanical side not so good ,,,,,you get that ??

you're not reading/listening

broken record off !!!!

lmao.

Rob

#10 K5MudDog

K5MudDog

Enthusiast

• Banned
  • 342 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 06:39 AM

do you have all gears or did you loose third

sprag clutch?
Posted Image

#11 thebandnerd03

thebandnerd03

Enthusiast

• 97 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:15 AM

govtech4 i realize that the scan shows nothing but i have also had scans give me false readings, the only reason im pulling the fan off is the check the filter. yes i have all the gears. I just have to start in 1 and manually shift as i gain speed. once i get to about 45 i can stick it in drive and it shifts between 3 and 4 just fine. only time it wont is when i drop below 35. then i have to shift back down to 2 and manually shift again.

#12 K5MudDog

K5MudDog

Enthusiast

• Banned
  • 342 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 06:43 PM

hmm mine lost 4th gear so all i have is 2nd and third.i have 1st in the morning when its cold
Posted Image

#13 Nick R.

Nick R.

Enthusiast

• 17 posts
  • Name:Nick
  • Drives:2010 Toyota Tundra DC TRD Off Road 4x4 5.7L

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:06 AM

you are wasting your time but do what ever you want ,,,,,no codes means the ELECTRICAL CONTROL SIDE IS OK ,mechanical side not so good ,,,,,you get that ??

broken record off !!!!

The fact that he can manually shift it and it works fine makes me think that it IS something electrical. If the gears for a certain gear position were bad, or there was a burnt valve in there, it would show all the time, not just when in D or 3. I know you said the fluid level was ok, but how did the fluid look? Was it thick and bright red? Or dark and thin, and maybe have bubbles? I would pull the pan and check it out under there. Its cheap enough to justify before going and spending big $ one a repair / replace. It sounds like you may have a stuck solenoid or a sticky valve in the transmission. But it could also be a gear position indicator, or something like the neutral safety switch. And even though you did get it scanned, the electrical signals may be ok for all the solenoids, but mechanically the solenoid may not be operating properly or could be worn out enough to where it doesn't operate within spec anymore. Which would show the computer as the solenoid being fine, but the valve attached to it may not be.

Also, only posting one time does not a broken record make.
Posted Image

2010 Toyota Tundra Double Cab TRD Off Road 4x4 5.7L
-Flomaster 50 Series and Custom Dual Exhaust by Service Connection, Monson MA https://www.facebook...on/315368643831
-6k Hid's Hi/Lo/Fog Lights
-Toyo Open Country A/T's
1998 GMC Sonoma SLE 4x4 Ext. Cab
1991 Chevrolet K1500 W/T 4x4 Reg. Cab 4.3L
1986 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer 4x4 5.8L H.O. (351 Windsor)

#14 K5MudDog

K5MudDog

Enthusiast

• Banned
  • 342 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:49 AM

also when you check your fluid smell it if it smells burnt thats not good

and there could be an electricle part taking too much power not allowing the solenoids to operate properly...
Posted Image

#15 govtech4

govtech4

Senior Enthusiast

• 4,118 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:54 PM

broken record off !!!!

The fact that he can manually shift it and it works fine makes me think that it IS something electrical. If the gears for a certain gear position were bad, or there was a burnt valve in there, it would show all the time, not just when in D or 3. I know you said the fluid level was ok, but how did the fluid look? Was it thick and bright red? Or dark and thin, and maybe have bubbles? I would pull the pan and check it out under there. Its cheap enough to justify before going and spending big $ one a repair / replace. It sounds like you may have a stuck solenoid or a sticky valve in the transmission. But it could also be a gear position indicator, or something like the neutral safety switch. And even though you did get it scanned, the electrical signals may be ok for all the solenoids, but mechanically the solenoid may not be operating properly or could be worn out enough to where it doesn't operate within spec anymore. Which would show the computer as the solenoid being fine, but the valve attached to it may not be.

Also, only posting one time does not a broken record make.

im sorry nick ive posted more than once about getting it scanned ,but you are new here and that is what i meant ,cheers

lmao.

Rob

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertise Here