98 s-10 blazer tranny help

so i have a 98 s10 2dr blazer 4.3 4x4 with 175,000 on it. I recently had the rear end replaced along with the fuel pump. Driving home from work today i took a corner and when i stepped on the gas again i heard a clunk and felt a jump. I lost 3rd and overdrive but still have 1st and 2nd gear. I have never lost the whole top end of a tranny before. The fluid level is good so i know that its not from low fluid level. any one have any thoughts or should i dump even more money into this thing and start tranny shopping.

Thanks

Depends on your finances. It is paid for, the engine is a strong running 4.3 that is bullet proof, you already had the rear diff taken care of. I would say the cost of a new transmission is way better than a new vehicle payment. But like I said, not sure where you stand finance wise.

• 4 weeks later...

Shift solenoid? Just guessin....

you very well could have lost your shift solenoid.there are two in there just under the fluid pan very VERY easy at home fix.not sure about yours but some might have four solenoidsthe shift solenoid pump your fluid to make it shift.but a sudden jerk would indicate that your transmission is going.since its OBD II get it scanned.mine is doing the exact same thing.i have to put 'er in 1st then as i pick up speed i shift to a higher gear in my 1995 z71..someone told me it could also be an ignition switch gone bad..

you are wasting your time but do what ever you want ,,,,,no codes means the ELECTRICAL CONTROL SIDE IS OK ,mechanical side not so good ,,,,,you get that ??

you're not reading/listening

broken record off !!!!

govtech4 i realize that the scan shows nothing but i have also had scans give me false readings, the only reason im pulling the fan off is the check the filter. yes i have all the gears. I just have to start in 1 and manually shift as i gain speed. once i get to about 45 i can stick it in drive and it shifts between 3 and 4 just fine. only time it wont is when i drop below 35. then i have to shift back down to 2 and manually shift again.

you are wasting your time but do what ever you want ,,,,,no codes means the ELECTRICAL CONTROL SIDE IS OK ,mechanical side not so good ,,,,,you get that ??

broken record off !!!!

The fact that he can manually shift it and it works fine makes me think that it IS something electrical. If the gears for a certain gear position were bad, or there was a burnt valve in there, it would show all the time, not just when in D or 3. I know you said the fluid level was ok, but how did the fluid look? Was it thick and bright red? Or dark and thin, and maybe have bubbles? I would pull the pan and check it out under there. Its cheap enough to justify before going and spending big $ one a repair / replace. It sounds like you may have a stuck solenoid or a sticky valve in the transmission. But it could also be a gear position indicator, or something like the neutral safety switch. And even though you did get it scanned, the electrical signals may be ok for all the solenoids, but mechanically the solenoid may not be operating properly or could be worn out enough to where it doesn't operate within spec anymore. Which would show the computer as the solenoid being fine, but the valve attached to it may not be.

Also, only posting one time does not a broken record make.

also when you check your fluid smell it if it smells burnt thats not good

and there could be an electricle part taking too much power not allowing the solenoids to operate properly...

broken record off !!!!

The fact that he can manually shift it and it works fine makes me think that it IS something electrical. If the gears for a certain gear position were bad, or there was a burnt valve in there, it would show all the time, not just when in D or 3. I know you said the fluid level was ok, but how did the fluid look? Was it thick and bright red? Or dark and thin, and maybe have bubbles? I would pull the pan and check it out under there. Its cheap enough to justify before going and spending big $ one a repair / replace. It sounds like you may have a stuck solenoid or a sticky valve in the transmission. But it could also be a gear position indicator, or something like the neutral safety switch. And even though you did get it scanned, the electrical signals may be ok for all the solenoids, but mechanically the solenoid may not be operating properly or could be worn out enough to where it doesn't operate within spec anymore. Which would show the computer as the solenoid being fine, but the valve attached to it may not be.

Also, only posting one time does not a broken record make.

im sorry nick ive posted more than once about getting it scanned ,but you are new here and that is what i meant ,cheers

Archived