2006 VERY loud clicking from hub - 1500 4x4

I have a 2006 GMC 1500 4x4. I have 70,000 miles on it and its a northern truck so salt and corrosion to my ABS sensors is probably the cause and has been pulsating lately off and on.

Today I went to the store just 3 miles from home and on my way back just out of the blue as I go through the intersection my hub makes a very loud CLICKING noise. As the wheel went around I had rapid clicking but it was metal on metal and was so loud I had to pull over at the gas station. I got out to look at the front hub drivers side and nothing noticeable. Can it really be the ABS acting up and be that loud? I was not hitting the brakes when the loud clicking was happening but the ABS pulsated when I tried to stop...The ABS is pulsating off and on lately and I know its the sensor probably has corrosion behind it and needs cleaned out but this almost sounded like my CV joint going bad but it would come and go. I parked it, waited for a ride to where I was going and I had my father listen and when I pulled up we heard a loud single CLICK! and it never did it again. The hub was fine, I put it into 4 wheel when I was making the noise too and it still did it. But after that last click it was fine. Picked the truck up several hours later and its still fine. The brakes seem mushy but that might be because I was driving my mother's new Chevy Sonic before I got into my truck and the brakes are tight on that car.

Any suggestions??? I will jack it up tomorrow and shake the wheel to see if its the bearing but this was the loudest thing I have ever heard a vehicle make besides a squealing belt! This noise was embarrassingly loud. The wheel bearing went bad after 10,000 miles but that was whole different horrible sound...sounded like I was pulling a barge down the road behind me metal on metal; this was different. Thanks

have your front wheel hubs been replaced yet?

Yes they have both been replaced once. The one in question has was replaced after 10,000 miles! The second one has been on since then. If its the CV joint I am surprised since that should last longer than 70,000 miles.

Today it was fine so I took it to the garage and put it on the rack. After rotating the driver front tire in the air it got very tight, almost like it was spring loaded. I could not even spin it anymore. I would rotate the other way and it would rotate easier and then tighten up again! Sometimes it never got tight at all. I lowered the truck and backed it out the garage and the clicking started again in reverse. I took it outside and it clicked again once more and it was fine; at least from what I can hear from inside the truck. I needed to drive it home and it started up not a 2,000 feet from the garage so I turned around and it stopped again and parked it. I can now hear a slight friction sound when it stopped clicking like a light metal on metal grind. So its down to the driver side front hub or nearby. I really hope its not the front differential! The 4x4 worked great on the off the rack when it was not making noise. Any suggestions? Thanks

Yep it was the bearing! Had only a little play maybe 1/4" or so but it was bad! I can't believe it made that much noise. After I got it home when I posted this and it was not making noise, I took it to my dad's auto body shop and put it on the rack to take a look around. Spun the driver front tire and it would tighten up so much I could not get it to spin anymore. It felt like it was spring loaded and wound up. It would release in the opposite direction and tightened up again. I got it loose and it spun free the whole way around so I put it back on the ground and backed out of the garage and it did it again but in reverse unlike yesterday. CLICK CLICK! but you could feel it slowing the truck down at low speed before it released then did it again and again. I parked it and had it looked at the next day and it was the wheel bearing. Bought a MOOG hub assembly that comes with a 1 year warranty. The hubs having the ABS senor built in with the kit, I hope this takes care of the ABS pulsating. Hopefully it was the driver front acting up. Those sensors are a pain and most northern salty winter states cause that corrosion behind the sensor. I had 3 GMT-800 trucks I've driven do that! $189.00 I think it was with tax for the hub assembly and thats for the better MOOG not the cheaper $90.00 one. Thats just the part too not labor. Thanks for all the help!

Archived