Oil pressure pegged at 80

Looked down at my gauges on my way home from work and noticed the oil pressure gauge is pegged at over 80. I had just stopped to get gas and added some Techron additive. I don't recall the oil pressure being high just prior to getting gas and adding the Techron. Is it possibly coincidence that my oil pressure sensor or the gauge is faulty, or is this most likely a result of adding Techron? Why would the Techron cause this?

If it helps - With the vehicle off, when I turn the key to the on position, the gauge reads between 70 and 75. When I start it it resets to 0 then gradually climbs to over 80 within a couple seconds.

The vehicle is a 2006 suburban with 105,500 miles.

It's not the Techron. You've got either a bad sending unit or bad stepper motor in the Instrument cluster. Also check for good connection of the wiring at the sending unit.

Changing the sender is a 10 min job. Five if you have done it before. Use a 1-1/1"6 socket with a universal joint and 6" extension. It is on the top of the block on the driver side behind the intake manifold and has a wire connector plugged in to the top of it. It is more likely the sender and not a stepper motor, especially if all the other steppers are working correctly. Plus, it is much easier to change the sensor than a stepper motor.

Went and bought a sending unit. Now trying to get the original one off. Can't get the socket on it. Seems like the tight area may require a socket with really thin walls? I can't see but I can feel some other parts right around the base of the sending unit? Does that sound familiar? Any suggestions?

Well, you guys are flat out awesome. Got the old one off after unplugging some sort of flat electrical plug in order to get my socket where it needed to be. Installed the new one. Plugged it and the flat one back in. Gauge reads accurately! Many thanks guys. I love this site.

Also want to give credit to my local Advance Auto Parts store. They were very helpful and knowledgeable.

The hard part of this fix was not being able to see a dang thing. Did it all by feel. Arm is a little scuffed up, but it'll heal as always.

• 2 months later...

Archived