Bank of America making you call before you can make $250 or more

Mossyoakglock

So the other day my mother-in-law tried to purchase something online for around $300 I believe. I know it was at least over $250.

When she went to finish the purchase it said the charge could not be applied so she called the customer service number on the back of the card to find out why it wasn't working. So the customer service guy tells her that in order for anybody to purchase something over $250 online they have to call Bank of America first and they have to approve/authorize you to be able to make the purchase.

This really pissed her off. She said so in order for me to use my own money, my own card, etc I have to get authorization/approval from the bank for me to make my purchase. He said yes because it is to prevent online fraud, etc. She said well that's why I check my statements every month and if I see something then I call and dispute it. She then said I don't need to get approval from you to use my own credit card/money, I had a father once and I don't need another one telling me how to spend my money.

She then told him that she will pay off the balance on the card and will be cancelling the credit card with bank of america as soon as it is paid off. They have other cards through American Express and Discover so it's not going to hurt them to cancel, just the bank.

Has anybody had this happen to them recently? They have a very large credit limit on all of their cards so it's not because they have bad credit. This is apparently for all credit cards.

I'm seriously thinking about switching banks now to Wells Fargo where our mortgage is at. Since our mortgage is through them I would have access to the highest checking/savings account they have and have no fees for anything whatsoever. Anybody else switched banks recently because of something like this?

Personally, I think that BOA having a fraud monitoring department is good. Wells Fargo has the same thing and called me to inquire about a purchase I had made with apple computer. Turned out, someone had made a purchase on my account that was fraud and Wells caught it in time that day for me to call and cancel the shipment, cancel the card, and notify the police in the city where the item was to be shipped(which was in PA and I live in Texas). I also had to file a report with my local constable office. If Wells had not called me that day, the charge would have gone through and the item would have been shipped. I check my credit card and bank activity very regularly as well, but this call from Wells saved both of us from a fraudulent purchase.

I used my BOA card to make a $1300 online purchase and never had a problem with it. It might be the places you are buying from do not have the security systems in place.

I don't disagree with a fraud monitoring program at all but I think it's kinda crazy to have to call Bank of America every time you want to make a $250+ purchase online. If I want to buy something then I should be able to purchase it without having to ask permission first. It's my money and my credit. If they think it is a fraudulent charge then they can call, which I am perfectly ok with.

When I first got my account with Bank of America I had only made my regular purchase that I always did so they were not flagged. I went to purchased about $300 worth of driveway sealer. They called me a few minutes later asking if I was the one that made the purchase and I said yes and that was all they needed. I was glad they called even though I knew it wasn't fraudulent because it was nice to know they were actually monitoring things on their end.

I used my BOA card to make a $1300 online purchase and never had a problem with it. It might be the places you are buying from do not have the security systems in place.

I never thought about that. I'm not sure where she purchased from either. From the way she said he explained it it sounded like it was regardless of where you purchase.

That I do believe, I was in Tennesse about 3 years ago and had to put a new headliner in my moms car while I was down there, my sister and brother pitched in on the liner price and I payed with a credit card (BOA) on my amount well when I got home BOA was trying to call me on the purchase but they couldnt get in touch with me cause I was gone so after I was home they called me again on if I made that purchase at such and such place I said yes I did but since the time that they couldnt get in touch with me they change my credit card number and gave me a new one (card was still active till they got in touch with me). I was happy about that because they didnt know I went out of state and saw a purchase in TN. With all this fraud and stealing card numbers shit going on you should be happy that they are watching this.

I don't disagree with a fraud monitoring program at all but I think it's kinda crazy to have to call Bank of America every time you want to make a $250+ purchase online. If I want to buy something then I should be able to purchase it without having to ask permission first. It's my money and my credit. If they think it is a fraudulent charge then they can call, which I am perfectly ok with.

When I first got my account with Bank of America I had only made my regular purchase that I always did so they were not flagged. I went to purchased about $300 worth of driveway sealer. They called me a few minutes later asking if I was the one that made the purchase and I said yes and that was all they needed. I was glad they called even though I knew it wasn't fraudulent because it was nice to know they were actually monitoring things on their end.

The credit card is not your's, it is the issuing institution's. The credit that you wish to use is not using your money, it is using the issuing insitution's money. If this was a debit card, then I can see claiming the money was your's to spend, but not with a credit card.

Personally I think its a good thing that they are monitoring. Sometimes a pain in the ass, yes. But I would want to have to make one phone call to buy something than to have to make multiple calls, letters to eveyone and their brother when I didn't buy something. Small hassle now, or a larger hassle later?

90% sure its a personal setting on the account that you can change. i had a BofA checking account with debit card, that i got rid of for other reasons, and never had an issue. i have a BofA credit that im in the process of paying off that i have also had no problems with.

and canceling the card will hurt your parents. it lowers the amount of revolving credit they have available which lowers your credit score.

It's good that BOA has that fraud security in place....Tell her to check her paperwork, pretty sure you can change it to whatever amount you would like, within reason of course.

My bank had a paper I had to fill out with a purchase limitation on it, don't remember the amount though.

I would receive a phone call or call the bank rather some crook buying thousands of dollars worth of stuff with my information.

BS... If I had to call the credit card company everytime I wanted to buy groceries for our family of 5 or anything else over $250 I'd have a fit. I belong to a credit union and wouldn't deal with BOA anyway for other reasons.

Nothing Bank of America does surprises me anymore. The only reason I still use them is that they are located everywhere which I need for work. In addition I have everything set up for bill paying through them and it's a pain to change to a new bank. They are difficult to deal with and some of their policies just don't make sense. I have everything except checking in other banks/institutions. I used to love them. My banker was awesome and helpful. Now I believe they have just lost their way.

Archived