oh no white smoke

I need to know if this is normal. Sometimes when i am driving and I gas the throttle hard I get a big trail of white smoke out of the tailpipe. This does not happen very often though. There also seams to be more than normal white exhaust when I am driving short distance when compared to most of the vehicles driving around. Most of my drives are very short distances where I dont allow my engine to heat up all the way (and it is winter) so I do get condensation on my oil fill cap. Could this white smoke just be condensation build up burning? Or do I need to be worried about a blown head gasket? The oil isnt milky brown. Do I need to be worried? Thanks!

my truck did that once,I hit the gas on the hwy to pass a car and I noticed white smoke,the truck was fully warmed up(had been running for an hour)but I have never noticed it since,hence I don't know but I am interested?

In my experience, white smoke on hard acceleration can be either carbon build up due that is due to not getting the truck to operating temps, or coolant getting into the cylinder. Generally carbon being burnt will give you gray smoke, but not always.

You should be getting your truck up to operating temps when you drive. Try to save up all the small trips you make and do them all in one. I know it is not really possible if the drive to work is short though. You could try taking the long way to work and home.

Are you sure it's white smoke, and not just moisture? You'll get substantial water output for the first few miles until the engine is fully hot. If it's cold out, that shows up as "white" fog (not smoke). A cracked head dumps water out the pipe all the time, and your water goes away pretty quick.

My guess is that you're just getting carbon build up. I used to have a 91 Blazer that would puff a little smoke fairly often, but I only drive 7 miles per day for 4 years straight. I'd try taking a 100 mile road trip sometime soon, change your oil, check all fluids, and then check back.

If your coolant level is normal, and you oil level is normal, smells and looks like oil on the dip stick you should be alright.

If your head gasket went, your coolant level would drop rather quickly and your oil would be cloudy and be far above the fill line from coolant going into it. It would also smell kind of sweet like coolant.

If those things are ok, I would say it's just condensation. Keep checking your coolant level and oil color, level, smell.

Thanks everyone for the replies! Yeah I do not drive very often because I walk to school and work is only like .5 miles from my house. The only time I ever see blue smoke is the occasional puff on initial start up which seems to be typical to some of these trucks unfortunately. My coolant level is a little low but honestly when I bought the truck a few months ago I really didnt pay attention to the coolant level so idk if it has been dropping. I may top it off and keep an eye on it. But yeah the oil is normal as far as color and smell, a little loss but not much and its been 3000 miles. And I am planning on going to denver for spring break here in a few weeks from manhattan, ks so that should put a good drive on her. Ill keep a good eye on her and get back to ya if I find anything out. Thanks for all the help!

my truck was doing the same exact thing, sometimes i would gas it hard and a puff of white smoke would come out. the dealer replaced my water pump and all is well now. my trucks a 2001 though

Check your tranny fluid. I suspect you have a diapram leak

What? :confused:

Common problem. Auto tranny is vacuum assisted. If the diaphram is leaking, it'll suck oil from the tranny into the combustion chamber. You get clouds of white smoke, and left long enough, the tranny will pack up due to lack of oil.

my truck was doing the same exact thing, sometimes i would gas it hard and a puff of white smoke would come out. the dealer replaced my water pump and all is well now. my trucks a 2001 though

Are you referring to the old vacuum modulator valves, that controlled shifts? The "e" transmissions are controlled via computer (not vacuum), but is there another reason for vacuum to electronically controlled autos?

Archived