Tapping / rattle noise under feet

Anyone have this problem. I seem to be able to feel a slight rattle/tapping coming from what seems to be the floor boards under my feet while driving. Seems to occur just after going over a small bump or rough spot in the road. It sounds like something is loose but i have no idea what could be causing this. I have had the truck (2002 5.3 Z71) at the dealer twice and they can not fix the problem. They did the steering shaft TSB but that didnt help any.

Any ideas on what I can look for my self.

Thanks

Mac

could it be the radio?  Sounds dumbs but i notice sometimes the bass from the speakers resonate under my feet.  Only way i know this is what is happening is because if i turn the radio down it goes away and if i turn it back up it comes back

From your description it sounds like you had the exact same problem that I had.  It drove me crazy, sounded sorta like a bedspring creaking or something every time I hit a bump or hit the brakes.  Turns out it was the lower driverside kick panel (where the hood release is mounted)  I took it off, dipped the clips in grease (most likely were the noise was coming from. The clips were creaking against the metal they were pushed into) and then sprayed down the backside with white grease.  The noise went away completely.    

The way I found the noise was to get in the floorboard in my driveway and recreate the noise using my hand on the brake.  Make sure you have a pretty open spot to do this in.  I was then able to get my ears down closer to the noise so I could find it.

Hope this helps

DuckhunterInTN,

was it the clips that hold the kick panel that require greasing?  i have what sounds like a similar creaking sound when braking, and it drives me nuts....some days it does it, some days it doesnt....

thanks for posting...

Well, I am getting more confused every time i look at this problem of mine. I spent some time this past weekend under my truck looking for things that are loose. One strange observation i made was that if i take the palm of my hand and lightly hit the dirverside torsion bar it makes a similar sound to what I am hearing. When i do the same to the passenger side it seems much more solid with no noise at all. The drivers side bar seems to be tight on both ends so I dont know why it would bang/rattle like it does.

Is it possible that there isnt enough torque on the bar?

Would adjusting the bolt  help this at all (besides the side effect of raising the front a bit)??

Thanks for all of the help.

MAC

• 2 weeks later...

I have a slightly older model 97' ,but have had that same weird tapping sound under the left side of the driver floorboard since I bought the truck.  After an exhaustive search under the panel and around the wheel well, I got back in and noticed that I felt the popping when I moved in the seat.  So, I moved the seat and sure enough, I got the same popping under my left foot.  It felt like something was loose right under the floor panel, but it turned out it was just the seat slide mechanism moving and popping.  I greased the slides and all the cables and latch mechanisms and it was gone.  

Just thought I would drop in my $ 0.02... best of luck.

:fume:

I had the same problem, drove me nuts for a month. It was the same Problem that Texasaggie was having.

This has happened in two trucks of mine.

You go looking for driveline issues, steering problems, engine knocks.....And you come up with.....seat hardware.

I wish it were U-joints, those are cheap and easy. Seats are not.

Archived