New to me 2011 Silverado 1500

Hi everybody, I got a 2011 Silverado LT extended with 4K this past Saturday to replace my 1990 Sierra extended 4x4. So far I love it... quite a drastic change! I've been doing some reading on this end of the spectrum about these trucks just to see what I can learn and what common issues lurk about with these models. So far with as little mileage as the truck has I have no complaints, but I'm curious what to be expecting as the mileage increases. Also, I have some first timer questions that I couldn't find addressed anywhere...

I've noticed that when I first start the truck up (cold or warm doesn't matter) and take off there is a slight 'pop' that comes from under the hood and can be felt in the accelerator pedal. Has anyone else experienced this? What does it take to fix it? It's only after I start it and take off the first time afterward. It doesn't do it anymore after that.

Speakers... has anyone replaced the non-Bose factory speakers in the front doors with aftermarket? The bass is a little more boomy than I'd like and wouldn't mind improving what's there if it's worth messing with it.

6 speed auto... so far I like it, but dang does it shift all the time. It also makes a whining noise in first gear; I assume this is normal but want to verify with others to make sure since I'm unfamiliar with these trucks. It's taking some getting used to coming from a hydraulically controlled 4L60 with 160K+.

Other than these small issues I have to say that I am absolutely loving this truck so far. It rides and drives like a dream and is very comfortable as well. Any insight on these couple of issues would be greatly appreciated, as well as any other common upgrades that folks are doing to them (if any). Thanks in advance!

chevy11.bmp

chevy11.bmp

chevy11.bmp

chevy11.bmp

How many miles? Since it's a 2011 I wouldn't image many.

1. Pop - this only happens the first time you start the truck and go? If so I don't know. My 08 Sierra would make a pop noise when I made left turns. But that was when driving.

2. Speakers - no idea

3. Transmission whine - Mines doesn't do that yet, but I only have 5k on the clock so we'll see.

Contrags on the new truck, hope you got a good deal on it.

Thanks! Got a pretty good deal on it. :thumbs:

It's currently at approx 4300 miles. And yeah, just when you first put it in drive and take off. Doesn't matter if the powertrain is warm or cold. 5.3 FFV/AFM with the new 6L80. Just curious if anyone else has had the problem before I break down and take it to the dealer and have them look at it. Doesn't bother me that much but I find it a little odd.

Mine is an All Star edition also... it's got everything I needed/wanted in one. I'm very happy with it.

I have the whine under heavy acceleration from a stop. It almost sounds like my truck is supercharged. I'm almost certain it's from the drivetrain. As far as the "pop"- are you on an incline when you are parked? Or when you stop and place it in park? If it's under the 36k warranty I say let the dealer try and figure it out.

No its always parked on level ground whether at work or at the house. I start it, put it drive, hit the gas a little, it moves about 5 feet and then the pop comes through the pedal. After that one time it doesn't do it again. As for the whining, I think its just the gear but who knows. The 727 in my old Dodge does the same thing but I know 727s do that. This is the first time I've ever been in one and I'm not used to it I guess so I worry a little.

Could that "pop" be the self check of the ABS system?. With mine I feel it right after putting it in gear and start to accelerate...I feel mine in the gas pedal. Feels like something taps on it lol..congrats on the new truck :)

Could that "pop" be the self check of the ABS system?. With mine I feel it right after putting it in gear and start to accelerate...I feel mine in the gas pedal. Feels like something taps on it lol..congrats on the new truck :)

+1 Exactly what I was thinking, but since you are definitely under warranty it wouldn't hurt to make sure with your dealer. No idea on the tranny whine. My 6 speed is super quiet. Since you aren't the original owner and didn't put the first miles on the truck, maybe the computer isn't adapted to your driving style. You might want to pull the neg. battery cable and reset the computer???

I thought about doing that very thing greywolf - I think that would help a lot so the truck can relearn how I drive. And thanks everybody on the congrats, I love it!! SOOOO much better than my 90, although I really did love that truck and almost shed a tear when I sold it. Sold it to the previous owner who's a good friend so it's not going far :). I'll try to get some pics of the new one loaded this weekend so everyone can see it.

Speaking of brakes michigan... don't know if thats what it could be or not, but curious to know if everyone else's brakes are pretty touchy in the 1500? Taking some getting used to for sure compared to the old truck but I'm getting better. Not real fond of the delay in throttle response from a dead stop either but maybe the computer reset will help with that. My 05 F-150 I had did the same thing and it drove me CRAZY (but it was a Ford so what can you expect!!).

I'd take it to the dealer to check the transmission whine assuming it does it everything. They might say too bad so sad but there might be a fix for it or something, who knows. A BlackBear tune will help with the throttle response. A lot of guys on here said it made their truck seem like a whole new animal. Congrats on the new truck!

My transmission whines a bit in first gear as well...so does my dad's 2500HD.

As far as the speakers/bass thing....maybe the previous owner/driver has the bass/mid/treble adjusted all goofy. I've got my bass turned 3 or 4 clicks higher than normal, my mids one click higher, and my highs about 2 clicks higher than the bass. I like the way it sounds, IMO. Aftermarket speakers would probably sound much better though, if you're willing to spend the money.

Not normal, on the pop or whine noise.

Aftermarket speak's are an easy swap but prepare to make your own adaptors for the rear doors if it's ex. cab. 6-1/2" all the way around is what is in mine.

I also have a 2011 Silverado Excab Allstar Edtion, that was built at the Fort Wayne plant. I too notice a pop when noise/feeling when I first start up and take off. It happens every time and feels exactly the same each time, so I haven't been to worried about it. Besides that yes it is a great truck!!

Yes the 6L80E does shift alot. Around town I keep it in "M5" like it better than in "D". The trans likes to go in to 6th gear around town then down shift as soon as you give it any gas.My fathers 2007 Escalade and Corvette both have the 6L80E and he said the same thing, He also keeps it in "M5"around town and seems to like it.

My last truck was a 1995 GMC Sierra 5.7/4L60E and I would keep it in "3" around town and only shift to "D" when on the highway for the same reason. Now that I think of it all the vehicles I've own with an overdrive transmission seem to do that. I think the factory sets them that way for good mileage(you know for those that live in flat world and drive one steady speed).

Well that's my $.02.

Congrats on the cool truck man!! :driving:

Archived