Vehicle Modification Laws by State - www.liftlaws.com

I'm unsure of where to best post this, so moderator feel free to move it wherever. I saw this over and GMFS and thought I'd share it over here as it seems to be a quite useful site. The name is a little deceiving as there is more than just lift information. The information ranges from Emissions to vehicle dimensions.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure about the other states, but being a police officer here in FL I was intrigued to look at it lol. The information they list for Florida is incorrect, so I wouldnt rely on it. They listed the correct statute for bumper heights, but the information is off.

wow....ct has a 4 inch suspension lift limit.....thats really lame, and weird.....it says suspension geometry must remain stock, whatever that means.

so basically i can body lift the truck 3 and then suspension lift 4 and that would be perfectly legal, but i cant suspension lift 6 inches? haha...lawmakers...

wow....ct has a 4 inch suspension lift limit.....thats really lame, and weird.....it says suspension geometry must remain stock, whatever that means.

so basically i can body lift the truck 3 and then suspension lift 4 and that would be perfectly legal, but i cant suspension lift 6 inches? haha...lawmakers...

You can do what you want, who's gonna notice? The only way for anyone to tell is if they took a tape measure to it. I see a lot of "overlifted" trucks around me, and nobody's ever gotten written up for it.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Looks like Illinois basically allows for 7 inches of total lift. Also lists max bumper and frame height. I don't plan on putting a big lift on my truck but I know I've seen trucks with more lift than that. Basically if you want anything bigger than about 37 or 38" tires, you're probably going to be too tall in Illinois. Anything much more than that and I guess you're relegated to off-road use only.

You can do what you want, who's gonna notice? The only way for anyone to tell is if they took a tape measure to it. I see a lot of "overlifted" trucks around me, and nobody's ever gotten written up for it.

A lot of it is how lenient your local police is. Or how you drive. Drive sensibly and you probably won't get pulled over for having a couple extra inches of lift. Drive like an idiot and get pulled over, you can guarantee the tape measure will be pulled out to see if you're too tall.

Archived