Sierra Fuel Gauge

Hey All- I know there are probably a million topics on fuel gauges not working properly. Unfortunately, mine stopped working today and I'm very sad about this! I have read a bunch of the other topics and they all say to try using the Techron cleaner in a few tanks. I'll start out by trying that, but I was wondering what everyone actually ends up doing? Does this fix it enough? Or do you end up taking it somewhere to get it fixed? I'm also wondering if people have fixed it themselves or not?

THanks for any help on this! Again, I apologize for creating yet another topic on it.

This is on my 2006 GMC Sierra by the way. I can't believe it has stopped working with only 58,000 miles on it..

All you can do is try,if it does not work,then the fuel tank will need to be removed,then the fuel pump module from the tank, and the fuel tank level sensor will need to be replaced it is a serviceable part sepearte from replacing the entire fuel tank module(fuel pump).Used to make my living replacing them all the time.

Make sure your on fumes if you plan on doing this job yourself & on your back in the driveway,spray the fuel tank strap fastners couple of days before you do it to make it easier.

I would take the bed off instead of dropping the tank, that is if you have 3 buddies to help lift. I can have a bed off in 5 minutes, vs wrestling a tank and lines to the ground.

x2. I'd never drop a tank on a pickup if I could pull the bed.

• 2 weeks later...

My 2001 Sierra had the fuel gauge go whacky a few years ago. This spring I am going to replace it and the pump, got a decent price from Rock Auto for an Airtex, $145 with sensor. Not bad.

Airtex Fuel Pump Features

• Improved harness connector eliminates any known OEM problems
  • Insert-Molded valve housing for improved flow
  • Patented check valve reduces noise
  • Upgraded seals for consistent pressure for multiple fuel blends
  • Ceramic card reader ensures accurate fuel gauge readout
  • Brass jet pump orifice precision machined for consistent performance
  • Dual zone strainers for maximum filtration
  • Upgraded Isolator feet offer improved noise damping over OEM

Just have to look into how to remove the bed.

Sorry to be a little off-topic, but I cant help but wonder why everyone must lift the bed off of the truck? Granted taking my bed off is not possible, but even still. I used a jack with a piece of wood (rubber on top to protect the tank), and a tie-down. I got the tank out myself with the tank being half-full in under 15 minutes.... I really don't think it is as big of a deal as people make it out to be. Just my .05 definitely don't mean to start a debate :lol:

• 4 months later...

Also recommending take the bed off, and if you do replace it, don't go the cheap route! Mine went out on my 2000 silverado at about the same time, a parts shop sold me just the sensor so I replaced that.. About 30k later it was out again, I ended up replacing the entire pump and drove that truck till 200k without any more issues. Traded it in for my current truck and it was still running like a champ!

And btw, me, my dad, and my brother had the bed off my truck and pump replaced in about 30-45 mins. It was really easy!

Archived