B0041 Airbag Code

cope6k

Question

Hey All...Went to my local shop after getting the dreaded Service Airbag in the DTC. He pulled code B0041 (drivers side loop). Unfortunately he doesn't do airbag work and I thought I'd see if anybody here had the same thing before and where the likely problems may be. I'd like to check a few things myself before I take it to the dealer.

Thanks.

Jim

2004 Suburban LT 4wd

100K miles

3 answers to this question

sorry but its not that simple ,heres the diag tree

Circuit Description

The inflatable restraint side impact module deployment loop consists of a side impact module, side impact module high control, and side impact module low control circuits. A shorting bar is used on the side impact module connector which will short together the side impact module high and side impact module low control circuits when the connector is disconnected. This will help to prevent unwanted deployment of the inflator module during servicing. When the ignition is turned ON, the inflatable restraint sensing and diagnostic module (SDM) performs continuous diagnostic tests on the deployment loops to check for proper circuit continuity and for shorts to ground or voltage. If a malfunction is detected, a diagnostic trouble code (DTC) will be stored in memory.

Conditions for Running the DTC

Ignition?1 voltage is within the normal operating voltage range.

Conditions for Setting the DTC

Action Taken When the DTC Sets

The SDM commands the AIR BAG indicator ON via Class?2 serial data.

Conditions for Clearing the DTC

Diagnostic Aids

The following can cause an intermittent condition:

Refer to Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections in Wiring Systems.

Test Description

The numbers below refer to the step numbers on the diagnostic table.

2 Inspects the LF side impact module in-line connector.

4 Tests for a malfunctioning LF side impact module.

7 If DTC B0040 is present, test for a short between the LF side impact module high and LF side impact low control circuits. If DTC B0041 is present, test for an open or high resistance in the LF side impact module high and LF side impact module low control circuits. If DTC B0045 is present, test for a short to ground or voltage in the LF side impact module high and LF side impact module low control circuits.

Step

Action

Yes

No

Schematic Reference: SIR Schematics

Connector End View Reference: SIR Connector End Views

Did you perform the Diagnostic System Check - SIR?

Go to Step?2

Go to Diagnostic System Check - SIR

1. Turn OFF the ignition.

2. Disconnect the LF side impact module in-line connector located under the seat. Refer to Driver or Passenger Seat Side Inflatable Restraint Module Replacement .

Do the connectors exhibit any signs of corrosion, terminal damage, or poor connections?

Go to Step?3

Go to Step?4

Did you complete the replacement?

Go to Step?11

Does the scan tool indicate that either DTC B0040, B0041, or B0045 is current?

Go to Step?6

Go to Step?5

Does the scan tool indicate that either DTC B0040, B0041, or B0045 is current?

Go to Step?10

Go to Step?9

Did you find and correct the condition?

Go to Step?11

Go to Step?7

<a href="http://gsi.xw.gm.com/newsi/showDoc.do?docSyskey=797634&cellId=68692&pubObjSyskey=3143072&from=sm&pubCellSyskey=499936&deliveryEffectiveDate=Mar+1%2C+2012#td07">7

1. If DTC B0040 is present, test the LF side impact module high and LF side impact module low control circuits for a short. Refer to

Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

2. If DTC B0041 is present, test the LF side impact module high and LF side impact module low control circuits for an open or high resistance. Refer to

3. If DTC B0045 is present, test the LF side impact module high and LF side impact module low control circuits for a short to ground or voltage. Refer to

Did you find and correct the condition?

Go to Step?11

Go to Step?8

Replace the SDM. Refer to Inflatable Restraint Sensing and Diagnostic Module Replacement .

Go to Step?11

Replace the LF side impact module. Refer to Driver or Passenger Seat Side Inflatable Restraint Module Replacement .

Go to Step?11

Replace the LF side impact module wiring harness. Refer to Driver or Passenger Seat Side Inflatable Restraint Module Replacement .

Go to Step?11

1. Reconnect all SIR system components.

2. Verify that all components, connectors and CPAs are properly mounted.

3. Use the scan tool in order to clear the DTCs.

4. Operate the vehicle within the Conditions for Running the DTC as specified in the supporting text.

Does the DTC reset?

Go to Step?2

System OK

Thanks for the response but for me to do that I'm sure I'd need a Tech 2. I was hoping there were folks who knew of a TSB or something so that maybe there were just some loose connections to check for.

Guess I'm off to the dealer.

Archived