Overall, I can't stress enough to TEST EVERYTHING BEFORE YOU BOLT THE RADIO IN! Conservatively, I'd say 50-60% of the calls I get are for problems that are related to the install and could have been resolved BEFORE the radio was bolted in the dash. It's imperative to test it first to insure that it all works (mainly for DVD, Bluetooth, iPod, XM sources), then if you have a problem when you bolt it in, you can troubleshoot it effectively because you know it all worked when it was sitting in your hands...
For those that have purchased from ADC Mobile know, we give you a ton of info once you login (and no, I will not post the login info here, sorry), but even though what we have available is pretty comprehensive, there are still things that guys call me on that I can't anticipate. Here's a quick list of the top tech-related issues I deal with (feel free to add your own problems/solutions):
- Microphone doesn't work - make sure it's SECURELY plugged into the MediaLink cable and make sure the MediaLink cable is plugged all the way in - this cable is kind of hard to plug all the way into the radio and is one of the first to come unplugged when you bolt in the deck if it's not plugged all the way in and "locked"
- iPod or USB sources don't work - make sure the MediaLink cable is plugged all the way in
- XM has no audio - make sure the short male and female RCA jacks on the main power harness and MediaLink cable are plugged together
- Random weird issues with display - MAKE SURE you moved all the cables out of the way behind the radio so it sits flush on the dash without pressure - you should be able to tighten the radio screws by hand - DO NOT cinch it down to "force" it into the hole. Take your time to find a home for all the cables...
- DVD/CD goes in halfway then gets ejected - remove the two shipping screws on the top of the deck - they are there to stabilize the DVD drive during shipping and must be removed.
- Factory controls (SW, rear console) don't work as expected - do a "System Reset" before attempting to test any functions - this tells the deck what vehicle its in and allows it to work correctly in that vehicle
- Blinkers/chimes are way too loud - you have a Bose vehicle and didn't set the deck to the factory amp mode - Hit Setup>Info and press>hold the "th" in the word BLUETOOTH for 5-8 seconds, then choose "Factory amp - ON", then hit "Menu' and shut off the vehicle for 30 seconds
- iPod video doesn't play to rear monitor - it's not supposed to - the Advent will only play DVD to rear monitor(s)
- Rear camera doesn't work - check the RCA is still plugged into the back of the radio AND the camera. Check power to the camera at the camera.
Thanks for the help!